Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-24-2005, 01:35 AM
TT Regular

steering cable replacement in Maristar 230

I'm trying to replace the steering cable in my 2001 Maristar 230, and it gets wedged under the gas tank when it tries to slide up and forward through the bulkhead at the back of the center compartment. Has anyone been through this and have any tricks to get past this bottleneck? I stopped when it appeared I would need to lift the gas tank. Thanks. Bill Z
ps What is the fitting on the hull on the port side of the engine just below the starter and near the packing gland? There is a single wire attached to it leading forward that was zip tied to my steering cable. Luckily I did not pull too hard on it before I went to investigate the hangup and didn't pull anything loose. Depth finder?

Last edited by lsupcar; 04-24-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Lightbulb

JimN, where are you?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 240 1989 454 cu. in. 13/13 prop.
Hey Isupcar,

I have a MUCH older boat but, yeah, I think what you're refering to is the depthfinder transducer, it's either silconed or epoxied to the hull.

Sorry I can't shed any light on the steering cable, when I bought my boat last year, someone had re-assembled the ball-type fitting that secures the cable to the hull backwards, this allowed the rudder to turn more than 90 degrees and it got into the prop - BANG, BANG, BANG....scared the poop outa me....any way, my entire assembly is visible under the tank once you remove a "floor" panel back in the "trunk". My cable however, is sorta loosely secured to one of my exhaust pipes....this would cause it to hang....and its in a space where you can't really see.

Wes

while you're sleeping, things are breaking
'89 Maristar 240, 454, 1:1, 13:13 Acme
Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 AM
MC Master Poster

If the cable goes under the tank and is getting stuck, you may need to remove the center floorboard to get access to the tank's mounting flanges. Once these are loosened, you can insert something under the tank to lift it enough to raise it so the cable comes out. If the tank has a lot of gas in it, it'll need to be emptied enough to make it easier to lift. Walmart may still sell a siphon tube with a one-way valve on one end. You put the end with the valve into the tank and shake it a few times, till the gas gets to the high end and wants to come out. Make sure you have a large container or another vehicle to siphon it into.

Before you get the old cable out, attach a wire to the rudder end so that the wire will be pulled to the floor when the old one comes out. You can use that to pull the new cable to the stern of the boat.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:20 PM
TT Regular

Thanks Jim, that's what I was afraid of. I tried to remove the rear floor, but stopped when it became apparent that the aft lip of the floor slipped under the rear seat supports and to remove the floor, all the back seat supports and possibly even the pylon would need to come out. Also, as you guessed, the gas tank still has its winterization fuel load of 60+ gallons on board and I didn't know how I would budge that even if I got the floor out. I was hopeing you would have some trick to avoid all that. I have the service manuals for my cars and trucks and they walk you through these sorts of things. As far as my searchs on this forum have led me to believe, such a service manual does not exist for my boat. Does the dealer have access to step by step instructions for maintanence such as this, or do they just feel their way along like the rest of us using their experience? I appreciate your help. Bill Z
Old 04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Part of what a dealer will/can do is through repetition after being shown or finding out how the different models come apart. The first time is the most time consuming, then shortcuts are found and things go a lot faster. Usually. Either way, the gas has to get out of the tank to make it possible to raise the tank. It's pretty easy if the tank is empty(relatively speaking).

Re: the boat service manuals, I don't know of any boat companies that have them for boat owners. There are a lot of specialty tools that don't work on cars and trucks, although this is more frequent on a sterndrive or outboard than an inboard. Just like car manufacturers, boat makers don't like consumers working on the boats during the warranty period, regardless of their qualifications and ability. It's not rocket science and there are definitely some bad service shops out there, but a lot of the reason they want their dealers to work on the boats is because the boat makers want to know that if their product is serviced by factory authorized people and they're properly trained, a more accurate indication of failures and repairs can be had.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
The enlightened one has spoken
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
TT Regular

OK, thanks Jim. It's good to hear it from somone who knows, so I can stop wondering if there is source of information out there I am missing. I'm trying to get on the dealer's service schedule which unfortunatly is quite a wait this time of year. Bill Z
Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

If you ski/boat with a lot of people and some live on the water, ask around if anyone has a Gas Buddy. It would let you remove the majority of the gas in one shot and once the tank is empty, replacing the cable isn't that hard, just kind of involved. There is also some foam or rubber strips under the tank that keep the tank from rubbing on the fiberglass and potentially wearing through. Make sure they don't come out.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
TT Regular

I have a Gas Buddy and plan to use it as you suggest. Thanks for the tip on the gas tank. Can you give me any tips on the removal of the rear floor on a 230 Maristar? It looks like the rear sear frame has to come off, or lift up from, the top of the rear floor. But the seat support wraps around all the way forward to the observer seat, and the pylon and other support brackets are back there too. I wish to disassemble as little as possible to limit the possibility of messing anything up. Does all that need to come up? Thanks for all your time. Bill Z