Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-19-2008, 07:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190, Indmar 351w
Bent Tracking Finn

I bent the third tracking fin on my 1991 Prostar 190. I'm not sure why the third one bent and not the first or second one but I believe it happened when I hit a very large partially submerged floating log. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

Can I just remove it heat it up and bend it back or am I wasting my time with that?
Do I have to order a new one and if so where can I order one?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Do a search - this has been discussed before. From what I recall new ones are NOT too expensive. See this thread -
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=tracking+fins

Last edited by peason; 07-20-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
You can try a MC dealer or here, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm, for a replacement. You can always take the chance of trying to straighten it or have it straightened, but???????

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwit View Post

Can I just remove it heat it up and bend it back or am I wasting my time with that?

Thanks!
I don't think you'd be wasting your time. It's brass, so it should be fairly easy. I'd try that before buying a new one. What have you got to lose?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
My old supreme used to bonk on the trailer and bend.(POS). You on the right track...just heat and bend.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 PS 190 Powerslot
Send a message via AIM to Gonzo
Yea there is a thread somewhere I remember we found the mfr in NC.

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Yea there is a thread somewhere I remember we found the mfr in NC.

Here is the post with all the info, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&postcount=15 and the entire thread, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...highlight=skeg

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
heating and bending will make it more brittle and likely to break next time... if you have a method of heat soaking after you get it straight it'd be good as new... they're easy to change out... just need some marine sealant like it probably stated in those other threads

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft ProSport 205, 351/285 hp
We've been running with a tweaked front one for a couple years... previous owner beached the boat and bent the front one...

My Dad is paranoid about taking things apart, so he refuses to let it be fixed Thinks it will crack the hull, never stay together right, yadda yadda yadda... so we live with a boat that does a nasty right turn when you let go of the wheel at slalom speeds.

He's the type of person who will have something running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, with a vibration, and wicked pull to the right, and be going "this thing is AWESOME!" Drives me nuts. I about had to put a gun to his head to put a 4160 on there, as the 4010 became absolutely horrid and would barely run... he didn't want to "lose any hole shot". (I don't think it could get any worse)

I had talked to Chuck at BAWS last year and he said they could send one out no problem...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83hurstguy View Post
We've been running with a tweaked front one for a couple years... previous owner beached the boat and bent the front one...

My Dad is paranoid about taking things apart, so he refuses to let it be fixed Thinks it will crack the hull, never stay together right, yadda yadda yadda... so we live with a boat that does a nasty right turn when you let go of the wheel at slalom speeds.

He's the type of person who will have something running on 6 out of 8 cylinders, with a vibration, and wicked pull to the right, and be going "this thing is AWESOME!" Drives me nuts. I about had to put a gun to his head to put a 4160 on there, as the 4010 became absolutely horrid and would barely run... he didn't want to "lose any hole shot". (I don't think it could get any worse)

I had talked to Chuck at BAWS last year and he said they could send one out no problem...

And they live among us!