Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 197, LY6, 40th edition
197 Ballast Photos

Here are the ballast photos in my 197. We usually run 2 750 fat sacs. It make for a great ramp. Good luck. Let me know if you run into any troubles.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
So where do the hoses run?

What shape are the sacs?

How many sacs?

Are there and vents?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

The hoses run to the back and around where the rear seat speakers are mounted. It is pretty tight to fish them by the gas tank but they will go. I use flex PVC. It will not get crimped. I prefer no vents. If you vent the bag you can never get it totally full. You should not need to burp the bag. Before filling just turn the pumps on drain for a few seconds and it will suck the air out like a vacuum. We use two of the 750 Fly high sacs W707 down each side, and if you want to surf one in the back and one down the side. If you are running an 2008 boat there will be issues with the fuel vent, but there is a way to fix it. I also have rear vent covers made for surfing. Otherwise water will flood your vents and fill the bilge. I do also recommend using a shut of valve close to the bag. It will prevent the slight siphoning action that can sometimes happen when you ride.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworld View Post
The hoses run to the back and around where the rear seat speakers are mounted. It is pretty tight to fish them by the gas tank but they will go. I use flex PVC. It will not get crimped. I prefer no vents. If you vent the bag you can never get it totally full. You should not need to burp the bag. Before filling just turn the pumps on drain for a few seconds and it will suck the air out like a vacuum. We use two of the 750 Fly high sacs W707 down each side, and if you want to surf one in the back and one down the side. If you are running an 2008 boat there will be issues with the fuel vent, but there is a way to fix it. I also have rear vent covers made for surfing. Otherwise water will flood your vents and fill the bilge. I do also recommend using a shut of valve close to the bag. It will prevent the slight siphoning action that can sometimes happen when you ride.
Sweet. Thanks.

What type of thru-hulls are those? How long does a pump take to fill the bag? empty? Who did the work? Those look like factory connectors on the pumps.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
Alrighty, finally a 197 owner with some useful ballast info ! May I ask, what pumps are you running, and where did you buy 'em?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
TT Regular

I did do all of the install myself. I have done about 7 of them now and learned some things along the way. The thru hull fittings are the mastercraft fittings although I prefer a simple 1" merlon or brass thru hull fitting. The problem with the Mastercraft fittings is the thread on the bottom side is too long for the hull thickness so I had to make a gasket to take up the slack to get a good seal. You will not have this problem with a simple 1" thru hull fitting. Plus the cost of the Mastercraft fittings with the shut off valve is quite a bit more. The pumps are the same pumps mastercraft uses. They are Jabsco reversible ballast pumps. They can be ordered through your local dealer or any Jabsco dealer. If you order them from mastercraft, I recommend ordering the wiring harness with the switch. It will save you a ton of wiring plus the switch wiring is a little tricky if you have never done it. For hoses I recommend flexpvc.com. I use the 1" flex pvc in black or grey so that is will match the carpet. The quick connect fittings are from Fligh High. I hope this answered most of the questions and sorry for rambling. It is just the way my brain is wired. (Probably too many jump or barefoot crashes)
Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Oops, I forgot to tell you how fast the bags fill and empty. Not long. Usually by the time I have the boat out of the no wake and my gear on the back the bags are full. When we are done we just drain on the fly and the bags are empty by the time the boat is back in the no wake. I can time them for you next time I am out, but my guess is between 5-10 minutes. The greatest thing is all you do is flip a switch.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
poor... poor 197...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
didn't crdickey post some similar pics and instructions on a 197 ballast install? Now that I think of it, he did more of a DIY specific installation to make a 197 have the exact x7 ballast equipment
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

The only challenge with the x7 stock ballast is that the bag is only 400 lbs and it is vented so it never fills completely. Simply not enough weight if you want a true 5 event boat.