Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2008, 07:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Shine a light into the area toward the stern and use a mirror to watch the raw water pump's mounting plate as it spins. If it looks like it's off-center, that will need to be adjusted and is what I was referring to when I told you to loosen the bolts. I have seen them really well-centered and also some that were incredibly off-center. If it stays off-center, it's a bad thing and you'll be going through the same drill at some point in the future. As I said, the off-center pump is what broke the bracket. Look at the odd hole in the pump mounting plate (if it has one)- it should be over a hole in the pulley and balancer (the part you're calling a flywheel).

Last edited by JimN; 07-27-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: maristar 1998
not sure what you mean by over a hole in the pulley & balancer. i believe pump does have a odd hole as it only fits on the flywheel one way. the holes don't line up the other ways.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 PM
MC Master Poster

I have seen some crank pulleys with a large rolled pin that the odd hole fit over and as long as you can'[t put it on any other way, that replaces the old version. How much can you move it around if the bolts aren't tight?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: maristar 1998
when you say move it around are you referring to the flywheel or water pump mounting? the flywheel moves side to side a bit. i don't think the water pump moves around much as it sits in a circular cut out on the engine.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
MC Master Poster

We need to define some things here because I think we're calling some of the parts by different names. The flywheel is on the back of the motor, so I think you were referring to the crank's harmonic balancer, on the front of the crankshaft and has the pulley mounted to it. For the sake of our conversation, let's call the part of the raw water pump that has the bolt holes the "mounting flange". The pulley is the black part that has the belt going around it and has grooves.

The pulley that the belt goes around may move when the bolts are loosened, is this what you meant when you said "the flywheel moves side to side a bit."?

The pulley should be true when it rotates and there should be almost no perceptible "out of roundness" to it. The crank pulley should look very stable when the motor runs. If that wobbles, it may have loosened and/or may have been removed and re-installed badly. I can't say for sure because I haven't seen it run, which leads me to ask, is there's any way you can e-mail a video of the pulley and raw water pump in action? If this is possible, that would be great and it doesn't need to be a long video, but it does need to be fairly well lit.

Tags
impeller, overheating, water pump