Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberpollack View Post
So, where is the round plate with the 3 holes? This was featured in the photo of the new water pump. I didn't see it on the engine or floor below the engine. Is this a mandatory part or does the rubber L brack take its place?
My guess is that, if the pump separated into two pieces, that round plate with three holes is still attached to your crankshaft pulley. Remove the 3 bolts and it should come off. Note it might be corroded on there a little and that getting it off might take a few blows with a hammer or something after you pull the bolts. The round plate is part of the pump assembly. It sounds like your separated into two pieces and that, although you've pulled the pump body out, the plate is still attached to the engine.

I don't have JimN's experience with this, but I've never seen nor heard of this kind of pump failure. Not that it can't happen, it's just that I think it's pretty uncommon. In defense of the guy that did the inspection, it sounds like he did tell you that the pump was leaking, but leaking is usually a bad seal, which can be replaced rather cheaply and doesn't necessarily indicate imminent pump bearing failure. When he surveyed the boat, if it wasn't overheating heating and wasn't grinding, it seems to me that his obligation was to tell you that the raw water pump was bad. Just because it was leaking doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't run the boat - I see guys here on Team Talk running their boats with leaking raw water pumps all the time. JimN would know better, but I'm not sure whether or not it's reasonable to expect that they would actually pull the pump to check the bearing on a $350 UBI. Likewise, I'm not even sure they were obligated to pull the pump cover to look at the impeller, if it wasn't overheating.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-22-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: maristar 1998
No metal plate with 3 holes

So, the pump did not shear off the engine. The motor end of the pump is smooth and worn. There's no evidence of metal fracturing, etc... See pictures in prior post.

Is it possible that the original setup did not include the plate on the end of the water pump? If no, then should the mechanic have noted that the item ws incorrectly installed? Expecting a rubber L bracket to keep the pump in place seems odd.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
So, the pump did not shear off the engine. The motor end of the pump is smooth and worn. There's no evidence of metal fracturing, etc... See pictures in prior post.

Is it possible that the original setup did not include the plate on the end of the water pump? If no, then should the mechanic have noted that the item ws incorrectly installed? Expecting a rubber L bracket to keep the pump in place seems odd.

Thanks
All I see in your images is the raw water pump body with no pump shaft and an empty bearing race - no bearing, no seal.

You need to look at the crankshaft pulley on your engine to find the rest of the pump, IMHO, except for the parts that fell into the bilge - namely the bearing and probably the seal. Scrunch down there in the bilge and take an end-on picture of your crankshaft pulley - I'll bet the plate with three holes in it is still attached to it, along with the pump shaft.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
This is what it is suppose to look like installed and working properly, it bolts to the crankshaft pulley and to the rubber cushioned L bracket underneath that is bolted to the block to prevent the pump from rotating and tearing off the hoses.
Attachment 38009

Attachment 38010

Attachment 38011

Attachment 38012

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 09-16-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
MC Platinum

Bingo, Harold. That's the picture I'd like to see of gerberpollack's boat.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM
MC Master Poster

"The motor end of the pump is smooth and worn. There's no evidence of metal fracturing, etc... See pictures in prior post."

All your photos show is the pump body and impeller. What we need to see is the part that's bolted onto the crank pulley. The shaft is what needs to be addressed. If the impeller will still fit onto the end of the shaft, the seals and bearings failed and the pump was able to work its way forward, to slide off of the shaft. That's another purpose of that L bracket.

Was a piece of steel still inserted in the impeller when you removed it?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Bingo, Harold. That's the picture I'd like to see of gerberpollack's boat.

Something tells me that's out of the question by now!
I would like to know if the L bracket is on the engine, cause if not, that would explain the bearing/seal loss by the pump just gyrating around with no support from the L bracket and it just couldn't take it anymore! The mechanic he paid to inspect the boat probably wasn't familar with the Indmar setup and had no idea how the pump was suppose to be mounted, but only noticed a leak large enough to recommend replacement at a later date. I give up!

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-22-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
TT Newbie

I'm 95% positive there was no L bracket. Especially since the L bracket is mostly metal with a rubber piece where it attaches to the mother. I believe the problem is the lack of support causing the pump to gyrate, etc...

I also didn't see any bolts attaching the water pump to the motor. The only things I saw were three holes where the bolt could have attached. This doesn't make sense as it sounds like the shaft is part of the water pump assembly? If the water pump assembly only includes the female receptacle then it would make sense.

Does the L bracket attach to the motor or the floor of the boat?

I will take photos tomorrow before work to verify.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
I'm 95% positive there was no L bracket. Especially since the L bracket is mostly metal with a rubber piece where it attaches to the mother. I believe the problem is the lack of support causing the pump to gyrate, etc...

I also didn't see any bolts attaching the water pump to the motor. The only things I saw were three holes where the bolt could have attached. This doesn't make sense as it sounds like the shaft is part of the water pump assembly? If the water pump assembly only includes the female receptacle then it would make sense.

Does the L bracket attach to the motor or the floor of the boat?

I will take photos tomorrow before work to verify.
The L bracket bolts to the front of the engine! The bottom of the pump bolts to the L bracket where there is a rubber isolator in the L bracket and the round flange on the back of the pump on which the pump is mounted on the shaft is bolted with the bolts of the crankshaft pulley, just as the pictures show.

Please for God's sake, post some pictures!

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-22-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
TT Newbie

I'll send photos of the mounting tomorrow morning. Here are photos of the bad water pump.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3900645...7606303890014/

Tags
impeller, overheating, water pump