Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Distributor Question

Hey all, trying to ask a "what would you do" scenario. I have a 1989 MC Prostar with 412 hours. It starting missing at the end of a long day - I replaced the cap and rotor button, which fixed it for a day. Then, it all started over - My real question is, the packing under the rotor button (looks a little like steel wool) - it is kind of matted down, definately not flush with the top of the distributor shaft. What would you do? replace cap and rotor again (seeing it did fix it for a bit - perhaps the new is defective), is the packing a possible issue? I have no idea what to try next. Being that it all has happenend in 2 weeks, I have to think it is all related, not spark plug, cylinder isssues, etc.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Does it have a Electronic Ignition conversion installed?
That packing in your words is nothing more than a felt plug with oil in it and for what, I don't know and can't answer. I do know that a new one came in my Pertronics Electronic Ignition conversion kit and I replaced it. It should have no effect on the missing and it sounds more like faulty plug wires or the pints are screwed up.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have converted to electronic. In my gut, I feel the new rotor and cap are not firing together - I know the tolerances on those are tricky
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
It could always be the EI module has gone bad, cause the original kit from MC that I installed, wouldn't allow it to run without a miss and the occasional backfire when I installed it, so I replaced it with the module from a kit I bought from Skidim and it ran perfect.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.