Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190, LTR
MC Engineering...We Need Drawings!

As a new MC owner this season, I have nothing but great things to say about the boat, company, website, other owners I have ran into. However, one major opportunity I see for the company is in improved information availability for our boats.

I would prefer to keep this positive; however last week I spent basically the entire night Friday driving across town to pick-up a part (got the part number off a Team Talk thread, reviewed it with the dealer over the phone and then on site when I picked it up) and after an hour of disassembly found that I had been given the wrong item. I was forced to put it back together (30min+) and am now looking at another drive to return it, trying again to find the correct item, and finally tearing it back down to install. I'm not trying to pass blame, because after talking to the parts rep. it didn't sound like he had much to work with either. I realize we all probably have stories like this; however in today's world it would be very easy to get the information out there to the customers/dealers to avoid this type of thing in the future.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here with ties to the factory engineering group so I ask that this message gets passed on as a suggestion for improvement. As a mechanical engineer who has worked in design, I have no doubt that the factory has detailed exploded drawings of our boats ballooned with all of the parts numbers...PLEASE SHARE them with us as is done with most other recreational vehicles!! Summers are too short and the less time we spend wrenching the more time we spend on the water.

Specifically, I'm looking for the drawings for a 2001 Prostar 190 and a single axle trailer.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridomine99 View Post
As a new MC owner this season, I have nothing but great things to say about the boat, company, website, other owners I have ran into. However, one major opportunity I see for the company is in improved information availability for our boats.

I would prefer to keep this positive; however last week I spent basically the entire night Friday driving across town to pick-up a part (got the part number off a Team Talk thread, reviewed it with the dealer over the phone and then on site when I picked it up) and after an hour of disassembly found that I had been given the wrong item. I was forced to put it back together (30min+) and am now looking at another drive to return it, trying again to find the correct item, and finally tearing it back down to install. I'm not trying to pass blame, because after talking to the parts rep. it didn't sound like he had much to work with either. I realize we all probably have stories like this; however in today's world it would be very easy to get the information out there to the customers/dealers to avoid this type of thing in the future.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here with ties to the factory engineering group so I ask that this message gets passed on as a suggestion for improvement. As a mechanical engineer who has worked in design, I have no doubt that the factory has detailed exploded drawings of our boats ballooned with all of the parts numbers...PLEASE SHARE them with us as is done with most other recreational vehicles!! Summers are too short and the less time we spend wrenching the more time we spend on the water.

Specifically, I'm looking for the drawings for a 2001 Prostar 190 and a single axle trailer.

Thanks
Doesn't help the fact that you had to waste your weekend, but have you tried calling Rambo Marine ( (256)-828-3590 )? Lex in the parts department knows these boats better than most anyone. He could probably tell you what you needed in no time.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
It may also help to post it here, just in case someone at MasterCraft is reading the Suggestion Forum, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...splay.php?f=15

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 MCX
I think that we all share in your pain. Unfortunately, the boat building business is not like the car business. I have factory manuals for all of the cars that I own and do most of the maintenance myself. But, unlike car manufacturers, boat manufacturers do not publish these types of manuals. Even the manual they give you with the boat is limited and in some instances just plain vague.

My "old" dealership parts department was run by a couple of "good ole boys." They were extremely pleasant and helpful, but they could not locate a part number. It drove me nuts! One call to Mastercraft of Charlotte and all is good. Mike and Joe will talk with you and get you the right part number. My "new" dealership is still learning the MC system. But, they nailed the parts that I was looking for for the fuel system.

I understand your point. If we had the "factory manual" available we could look up stuff ourselves. Honestly, I do not even know if the dealerships have manuals about every boat. Their technicians are suppose to attend training when the new models come out. If they are handed a detailed manual to go with the new boats, I do not have a clue.

I know it is frustrating. Give MC of Charlotte a call and ask to speak to Mike. If he is not there ask to speak with Joe. 704-525-6660 Their web site is http:.//mymastercraft.com/
Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Out of curiosity, what part were you looking for?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190, LTR
It was the inner seal on an oil bath bearing. There was a great write-up here on TT how to replace it and I took the part number off the write-up, double checked it with the dealer, and when I took it apart the one that I bought appeared to be too small in diameter and looked to have a different profile rubber lip. I was heading out on the lake Saturday and was not going to risk being stuck on jack stands so I just changed the oil and ran it.

The good news is there was a part number stamped in very small on the part and I wrote it down in the garage. I'll give the dealer a call with the number off the boat and we should be able to get it figured out.

Now to the theory... why do you think the boat industry does not release this information? I have drawings for my snowmobiles, jetskis, motorcycle, etc; what makes the boating industry special that they hold tight on their drawings? It seems ridiculous to me that the dealer is paging through old 3 ring binders to find part numbers with a company building the caliper of products that MC does.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
who knows for sure why the boat industry holds onto drawings brido, but you have to wonder if it's because of confidentiality.
Trailers... well MC trailers use outside manufactured assemblies like axles, spindles, brakes, torsion setups etc, so maybe their suppliers would have these drawings ?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
I know the most useful drawing I've seen of my engine came from the Skidim catalog, which has a schematic for many of the engines used by Indmar and PCM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Trailers... well MC trailers use outside manufactured assemblies like axles, spindles, brakes, torsion setups etc, so maybe their suppliers would have these drawings ?
You are correct and most ouside suppliers have owners manuals for their assembled products with a exploded view of a particular assembly and part numbers for them all.

My UFP Disc Brake conversion from them came with a exploded view of the actuator and so did the caliper and hub/rotor assemblies with all the part #'s all the way down to the brake pads. I would think it should be standard practice for boat builders to pass along those owners manuals for assemblies from outside suppliers in all the purchase paperwork if they exist.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer View Post
I know it is frustrating. Give MC of Charlotte a call and ask to speak to Mike. If he is not there ask to speak with Joe. 704-525-6660 Their web site is http:.//mymastercraft.com/
I'd second this recommendation. Mike is sometimes tough to reach during the busy times, but the entire staff is very helpful. I had a problem when I was on vacation last month. Mike returned my call on a Sunday. (I guess he heard the panic in my message) And then Monday morning one of his mechanics helped me solving my problem. Joe's not there anymore, but again someone there will take care of you.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.