Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2 with MCX
Need tips for getting more air on wakeboard

Can clear wake to wake both sides (into the flats heelside), but not getting very high, which makes grabs & other moves tough. Any pointers for getting more height on my jumps?

Former: 2006 X9; 2001 209

Home Lake: Lake Anna, VA

"I don't know, but I've been told: you never slow down, you never grow old." - Tom Petty
Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
step 1) learn a progressive edge... too many people do a turn and burn... NO... progressive and sit in a chari as you approaching the wake... still won't get very high but the edge is KEY

step 2) learn to stand tall up the wake while keeping that hard edge... as you come out of the trough of the wake you'll want to start standing as you go up the wake and be standing tall at the top...

step 3) load the line while standing tall... when approaching the wake in the "chair" position you want to have your hands at your front hip with your arms at a 90... that's right not straight not up not out... when you come up the wake standing tall you'll give the rope and extra tug and with the rope now at your center of gravity you can give it another tug to straighten you out in the air if you start feeling like you're getting off axis or going to come up short...

i know it all seems really fast when you're riding at first but it'll come as you start figuring it out... i learned to jump wake to wake in 2 mos w/o knowing how to do it... it took me a yr to learn how to jump w2w right... watch pros hit the wake... i know its hard to not watch the spins and inverts but just look at their body/feet/hands position as they're hitting the wake... just remember before anything else... hands down and sit in the chair... it'll come... good luck

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips WX2W - I have been turn and burn but can really tell when I get the progressive edge right and have been working on it the last 2 weekends. I'll definitely pop in a video or two and watch the pros, especially on how you hold the handle - hadn't heard that tip before.

One question: how far out should you start to glide in and how far out do you start to cut to get the progressive edge when you are learning?

By the way, used the Parks Bonifay quote to inspire me to throw and nail a wake to wake TS FS 180 this past weekend. Of course, Parks wasn't 46 when he said it and probably was never as sore on a Monday morning as I am this morning.

Looks like we have the same ride - mine's switch graphics too.

"I don't know, but I've been told: you never slow down, you never grow old." - Tom Petty
Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Ditto on what wakeX2wake said. You really don't need to cut out very far to still be able to clear the wake. I've seen some people pull to where they're almost even with the boat. Totally unnecessary. The more you ride, the more you'll see what you need to be able to get over the wake. The key is the slow turn and progressive edge. I bend right down with the approach and straighten out my legs as I hit near the top of the wake. Away you go. As far as grabs go, I try to bring the knees up after I pop off the wake. Here is a shot of a tailgrab behind my empty Tristar. If I can do that with my boat, you should be getting nosebleeds behind your X2 in no time. Name:  wakeboard1.jpg
Views: 6687
Size:  26.8 KB
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Damaged. My old boat was a 209/X9, and I am a convereted skiier - hence my turn and burn approach. I lift my knees up, but with the speed I was carrying, there was no slack in the rope to release for a grab. Sounds like it's all technique. I'll work on my technique and pack some tissues for those nose bleeds.

That's an impressive jump and grab - particularly since you can see the kind of wake your boat produces in the picture.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM
MC Maniac

yeah man ditto on damaged's stuff too... you need to get far enough outside the wake to be able to comfortably pull out... chill a second and the start your edge and get comfortable with your edge into the wake... i can now behind my x2 get just outside the wash and lay into it and get plenty of pop to get over the wake... i suggest mess with it but try every single time (just like in slalom skiing) making your cut the exact same until you get more comfortable with standing tall on the wake and loading that line as your coming up the wake...

props on the tsfs180... that's one of my sketchiest 180 tricks... switch tsfs 180 (i guess you could call it a ts half cab...?.... whatever) is super sketchy for me haha... can't even get that one w2w yet...

back on your edge while i'm thinking about it... i hope you're riding a good wake line and not a slalom rope like i've seen some people do... make a huge difference in your level of comfort on your cut on a wake board... the flex int he line is your savior in slalom skiing and will kill you wakeboarding... and the length of your line is going to make a big difference... i ride a 75 or 80 ft line at 23.5-24 mph... the difference in the line length will give you more time to get comfortable with your progressive edge but will also require you to jump farther to get across the wake... kind of a trade off... i know what you mean about the soreness thing too... heck i'm 25 and limped acorss the parking lot this morning (got my boots either a) ducked too far out or b) spread too far out... inside of my back knee is killing me from casing the wake all day yesterday behind a SAN... STOOPID wide wake)

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by wakeX2wake; 06-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2, 2006, MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to badams
Almost a Threadjack

Ok guys, since we are talking about wake to wake I thought I'd ask for some help also. I can't seem to get any farther than about 3/4 across the wake. I know I need to follow all of the instruction that you have given in this thread. My question is how fast should I be pulled. I usually have the wife set the boat at about 19 to 20 and I just don't think that is fast enough. Any advice would be great.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks again WX2W - I do have a wakeboard line. Ridng at about 60 ft right now, but I know longer rope helps so will be moving out.

I am still working on my switch riding (son pulls me behind a Seadoo), so not even PArks words of wisdom could inspire me to throw a switch TSFS 180 - I chickened out.

Would be interested in thoughts on speed per badams. I ride at 21 mph and see you're 23-24. All seems slow coming from 36 mph for skiing.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Personally, I ride at 21-23 depending on how smooth the water is. The calmer it is, the faster I go. It's all personal preference though. Badams, I would bump the speed up a few mph and see what happens. I'm guessing that 2-3 mph will get you crossing that wake. I definitely agree with you about feeling slow compared to 36.

Initially, back when I first started riding behind an I/O, I was running my line at 60 ft. When I got my MC, I was riding with the rope connected to the stern because I wanted to put people in the boat and not cut their heads off with the rope. I still had it at 60 ft. When I got my Skylon, since it's in the center of the boat, I put 15 ft back on the rope, so now I'm at 75 ft. The wake seems to have the best shape there too. If I run any shorter rope, there's no wake to hit. (remember, Tristar)
Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM
MC Maniac

i ususally let the wake determine the exact speed... you want the wake to white cap about 2 or so feet behind the driver and it won't be hard if you have your weight even in the bote... that's your minimum speed but it's also going to be your tallest wake you can hit w/ your hull/weight configuration... speed up from there for comfort/personal preference and you wake won't be AS tall but you probably won't notice the difference to matter... you don't want to hit your wake when its washing b/c its not firm at the top (ie no pop unless you KNOW what's going on) and and its really incosistent... i'm a big guy 6'3'' 240+ and i ride at the same speed as my smallest riding partner whos about 5'10'' 145 lbs... if we're on a 75 ft line we're riding about 23.5-23.7 depending on the # of people and the chop (not that it makes that big of a freakin' difference anyways) and 24 on 80 ft line... FWIW randall the vandall harris rides i think it was 95ft at 28 mph behind his bu

yeah badams... i'd bump it on up if you feel comfortable with it... the edge you're getting right now will probably get you farther at a higher speed... see parks quote below when you bump that speed up haha... it all feels the same... not great when you fall... one summer i was trying and trying to huck some huge hs jumps into the flats (which is fun) and i said heck w/ this... it hurst when i fall just jumping so i'm going to fall tryying something upside down... good stuff

sorry this all may be old news but i never cease to be amazed... had a guy come up to us yesterday wanting to know what kind of tower would be best for wakeboarding... my buddy looked at him and said probably new dimension or monster on a early 90s late 80 models CC or MC if you want a really good one HAHA... i'm much better at telling someone how to ride than i am myself... those who can't do teach haha

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

-Parks Bonifay

-Frank Sinatra

-Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by wakeX2wake; 06-30-2008 at 02:01 PM.