Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless at the moment =(
Calling all Surfers!

Ok, all you surfers out there, I need some help! I started wakesurfing this year and fell in love with it! But my problem is that I don't have a good boat for surfing. I can't seem to stay with the boat without the rope, but I have seen people do it with a smaller wake than mine. I have tried weighting the boat different ways and still can't get it! So, I thought that it might be the board that I am using. I have a 2004 Liquid Force SkimSkate that is really slugish. I am looking at the O'Brien Alias 5'0'' because of my price range. I can't afford to spend a whole lot of money right now. I just wondered it that would be a good board for me and my boat. I am about 5'10'' and just a little over 100lbs soaking wet. And my boat is a 1999 Sportstar. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
we love our cwb ride!!!

keep ur weight on ur front leg!!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Hey Wakechic!

I bought the Alias as well and I have a 98 Sportstar. I will let you know if I find out any secrets. Our boat isn't the best for this but it can be done. How many feet are you from the back of the boat?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinglow View Post
Hey Wakechic!

I bought the Alias as well and I have a 98 Sportstar. I will let you know if I find out any secrets. Our boat isn't the best for this but it can be done. How many feet are you from the back of the boat?
Uh! I can't remember! I made my rope off of what a wakesurf website told me to do. But i have been moving all around on the wake trying to find that sweetspot!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X30 & 79 Pro Skier "MAHA EDITION"
Hey there!

Okay a couple of pointers. How far back are you, you should be at the part of the wake that is just starting to come up (if you have a small wake). Also if you can't keep up with the boat that means that the boat is simply going to fast. We surf at between 9.5 and 12 behind my X30. So you should be maybe a tad slower...Try it and see. Should work for ya. You should not have to be workin to hard behind the boat to stay with it...Let us know. P
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-10 2001 ltr
the bigger the board the better when first learnng how to surf, try to weight only one side of the boat , right side always seem better on a mc due to the way the props spins[at least on my boat]. try to think of the board as a see-saw, you need to be able to shift your body weight forward to speed up and back to slow down. I started with a LF 4'6 and hated it, had the same problem, I found a used surf board on craigs list, 5'10 fun board, it has a rounded nose and I teach every one off of that board. everyone who has ever try to surf behind my x-10 has gottin' the hang if it, they may not let go of the rope, but they were able to ride with alot of slack in the rope, true surfing. so yes the board really make a differance. hope this helps
Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maha skier View Post
Okay a couple of pointers. How far back are you, you should be at the part of the wake that is just starting to come up (if you have a small wake). Also if you can't keep up with the boat that means that the boat is simply going to fast. We surf at between 9.5 and 12 behind my X30. So you should be maybe a tad slower...Try it and see. Should work for ya. You should not have to be workin to hard behind the boat to stay with it...Let us know. P
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-10ron View Post
the bigger the board the better when first learnng how to surf, try to weight only one side of the boat , right side always seem better on a mc due to the way the props spins[at least on my boat]. try to think of the board as a see-saw, you need to be able to shift your body weight forward to speed up and back to slow down. I started with a LF 4'6 and hated it, had the same problem, I found a used surf board on craigs list, 5'10 fun board, it has a rounded nose and I teach every one off of that board. everyone who has ever try to surf behind my x-10 has gottin' the hang if it, they may not let go of the rope, but they were able to ride with alot of slack in the rope, true surfing. so yes the board really make a differance. hope this helps
Well, I went this weekend for four days and surfed about everyday and still couldn't let go of the rope. I put as many people as I could in the boat and still couldn't let go of the rope on either side! I tried surfing everywhere on the wake and I tried every speed! I had the wake looking beautiful on the left side and it had a pretty good size to it but still just couldn't stay with it. I put almost all of my weight on my front leg and still nothing. I think that I am going to invest in a different board! I even tried removing some of the fins on the board. Nothing! It's like I would come soo close and would get just a little slack in the rope but would loose it everytime!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
You need a waist high wake and you need to get forward on the board a bit
Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
You need a waist high wake and you need to get forward on the board a bit
Well, I know that I don't need a waist high wake because I've seen it done on smaller ones than mine and I have tried moving to the tip of the board and that didn't work either.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakechic2786 View Post
Well, I know that I don't need a waist high wake because I've seen it done on smaller ones than mine and I have tried moving to the tip of the board and that didn't work either.
Lean back and then pump forward to sustain. Bigger the wake the easier it is for sure.

Certainly one of those leg humpers in NC can show you

Last edited by Maristar210; 07-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.