Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-26-2008, 01:23 PM
JDAVIS9007

Arrow Thank you

Thanks for all the advice on the "impeller" housing. Sorry I was in a rush, at work, and spelled it wrong.

I'm glad some of you got a good laugh!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Are you in Jawjah? That would explain it. I have a friend down there and he claims that he doesn't have an accent, but he does.

Typing with an accent- that's a new one.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnson View Post
Isn't an Impella an animal that roams the African plains? No I guess that is an Impala. So what is an Impella? Is that ebonics for impeller?
You know the last Miss Ebonics pagaent had to be cancelled when they couldn't get anyone to compete as Miss Idaho.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnson View Post
Isn't an Impella an animal that roams the African plains? No I guess that is an Impala. So what is an Impella? Is that ebonics for impeller?

I found an impella and lets hope we don't need one

Figure: Impella implanted in the heart
Old 06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205, Indmar 5.7 w/ Velvet Drive 1:1
That looks like an intra-aortic ballon pump. Not 100% on that though. I believe that the IABP doesn't extend so far into the left ventricle. Bigmac????
Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijs View Post
That looks like an intra-aortic ballon pump. Not 100% on that though. I believe that the IABP doesn't extend so far into the left ventricle. Bigmac????
The Impella Recover LD/LP 5.0 Support System has been developed to address the need for ventricular support in patients who develop heart failure after heart surgery (called cardiogenic shock) and who have not responded to standard medical therapy. The system is designed to provide immediate support and restore hemodynamic stability for a period of up to 7 days. Used as a bridge to therapy, it allows time for developing a definitive treatment strategy.

The Impella Recover system is a miniaturized impeller pump located within a catheter. The device can provide support for the left side of the heart using either the Recover LD 5.0 (implanted via direct placement into the left ventricle) or the Recover LP 5.0 LV (placed percutaneously through the groin and positioned in the left ventricle). The microaxial pump of the Recover LP/LD 5.0 can pump up to 4.5 liters per minute at a speed of 33,000 rpm. The pump is located at the distal end of a 9 Fr catheter. At its largest outside diameter, which contains the pump housing, the Impella measures 21 Fr. The catheter shaft contains the electrical connections for the pump motor and sensor as well as for a separate tube used for transfer of purged fluid.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205, Indmar 5.7 w/ Velvet Drive 1:1
Wow, definately not a IABP. Never heard of these, might not be available in Canada. Here is a picture of a IABP, these increase back pressure on the heart thus increasing coronary perfusion. (The heart gets its oxygenated blood out of two sinus' in the aorta close to the heart (proximal) during the resting phase (diastole- the lower number in your blood pressure). (Again bigmac, can you verify??)

It is absolutely amazing what can be done now-a-days. I have been in the 'cath lab' to see angiograms and angioplasty (coronary stents). Totally the coolest thing I have seen since God's own medical miracle child birth.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Anybody got a recipe for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sammich?

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Tags
impeller