Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 350 Indmar (My First)
v-drive packing

I think my boat needs the packing either tightened or replaced around the drive shaft.

How much of a drip should I be getting?

How can I tighten (if possiable)?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...9&postcount=52

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
There are many good posts out there on this subject. My experience has been that you can probably get away with tightening 2 or 3 times before having to repack the stuffing box. A lot will depend on how the boat is used and the material that was used for packing. In general you should see about 1 drop per second from the stuffing box. Getting to and adjusting the packing nut can be difficult on a V-drive. Discount Inboard Marine makes a set of wrenches with short handles that are made for V-drives. Watch out for the junk slip joint wrenches that are out. They're pretty much useless IMO. If you do have to re-pack buy the best materials you can as they will last longer. I re-packed the box on my 95 200VRS 4 years ago, put 200 hours on the boat and adjusted once (last year).
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
There are many good posts out there on this subject. My experience has been that you can probably get away with tightening 2 or 3 times before having to repack the stuffing box. A lot will depend on how the boat is used and the material that was used for packing. In general you should see about 1 drop per second from the stuffing box. Getting to and adjusting the packing nut can be difficult on a V-drive. Discount Inboard Marine makes a set of wrenches with short handles that are made for V-drives. Watch out for the junk slip joint wrenches that are out. They're pretty much useless IMO. If you do have to re-pack buy the best materials you can as they will last longer. I re-packed the box on my 95 200VRS 4 years ago, put 200 hours on the boat and adjusted once (last year).
Even the MasterCraft manuals show tightening that thing with a slip-joint pliers, and I agree, a wrench would work better especially in tight quarters.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

I got a guy that said he could do it at the lake for me. He said it would cost 95.00 to tighten it. He said if he had to put new packing in it would be a little more. I guess it may be worth it to let someone know what they are doing to do it.

I looked at it and it isn't a very easy place to get into to work on it!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLFAN View Post
I got a guy that said he could do it at the lake for me. He said it would cost 95.00 to tighten it. He said if he had to put new packing in it would be a little more. I guess it may be worth it to let someone know what they are doing to do it.

I looked at it and it isn't a very easy place to get into to work on it!
seems awfull high!!! but drive on, u can afford it!!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Would it hurt to use grafoil packing?

Does anyone one know for sure what size packing I need 3/16" or 1/4"

Also what size nut is it I am going to be backing off? I looked at skidim and if I undestand the descrip. correctly the wrench they are selling it 1 7/8"...

I may end up doing this myself
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

Are these picturs pretty close to what I am going to be looking at while doing this?

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

All I need is the packing rope correct?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLFAN View Post
Are these picturs pretty close to what I am going to be looking at while doing this?

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

All I need is the packing rope correct?
That's it, 1:1 transmission with 1" shaft is 1/4", 1.52:1, 1 1/8" shaft is 3/16", just follow the instructions and save yourself $95. It's simpler than drinking apple pie! You can get your packing rope here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-24-2008 at 05:12 PM.