Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-14-2005, 06:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
Blower placement

Hi everyone,

I am progressing with the rebuilding of my 1990 PS 190. One of the parts I got with the boat that was in the big box of parts is the blower. I know it goes under the floor somewhere and then a hose connects it to the vent opening by the left exhaust hose, but I don't know where the blower unit itself is normally positioned. Is there a 'best spot' to put it? Also, would you normally have any hose coming off the 'intake side' of the blower or does that depend of where you mount it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hunter, mine is located on the starboard side of the engine (a bit underneath the engine about midway back). The hose runs straight back along the inside of the starboard exhaust pipe. Hopefully, this picture will help. I lightened it up a bit so you could see the hose. Obviously, the blower isn't visible, but it's connected to the front of the hose.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 04-14-2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
In the earlier model boats (since you may have this option) the blower is located above the fuel tank with hoses routed to the accommodating vent.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 04-14-2005, 07:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
You sure Sporty? Seems like it would be absolutely necessary to vent the engine area as the carb (in this case) will be the most likely place gas fumes will come from.

On my '94 their down by the stringer under the engine. In fact, I believe they might be using the same bolts as the motor mounts.

Last edited by AirJunky; 04-14-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
MC Maniac

As we all know (but seldom see consequences) gas vapors are very volitile. Again, I have seen the results of an outboard boat where the tanks were stored "behind a curtain" in the rear of the boat. Vapors are released and fires do happen.

I was driving down the road one day and looked over at the local launch area. Just about 100 yards out this is what I saw. I turned around and went back to see what the heck was going on. A guy and his GF were standing there, the guy was wet from swimming. He explained to me about the fire that originated from vapors behind an unvented area. Please excuse the lesser quality of the scan. The pic is getting old. This happened a few years back and I caught it on film. Digital has spoiled me.

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
You sure Sporty? Seems like it would be absolutely necessary to vent the engine area as the carb (in this case) will be the most likely place gas fumes will come from.
I hear ya' but actually very few fumes come from a carb. However, I'm sure there is validity to both opinions. I was just offering up an alternate place that MC once placed a blower. I'd hate to put one in the floor area of the boat. Water would be my concern but in any manner, blowers are very important but often overlooked as a safety feature.

Quote:

Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
In the older boats the blower itself is mounted above the gas tank as in Sporty's photo. But the hose runs down behind the tank to the bilge. This causes the air to be pulled into the bilge from the front intake, run under the motor box, and then gets sucked out the back by the blower motor. Many boats have this design and most blowers move some serious air so I think this would work fine.

But since the boat in question is different than mine I'd figure out where the blower and hoses are normally for that exact year. I'm sure the answer will be posted shortly.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Man, that sucks!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Mine is run just like tex, and Air junky. Under the engine.
The hose runs back to the vents at the back of the boat.

The blower motors are water resistant.
The way mine is mounted, the floater switch will kick on the bilge pump before water gets high enough to get to the blower motor.

Hope this helps

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
Thanks for all the replies and pictures. I think I will try to secure it on the drivers side of the motor and run the hose along the exhaust pipe as in the picture from east tx skier. I think it's probably more efficient to have the blower pushing air rather than pulling it.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm sure I will have more questions as I put this boat back together.

Bruce