Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2004, 08:41 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Maristar 230 questions......

I am thinking of buying a Maristar 230 somewhere between 1999-2002.
Years ago I owned a 1994 prostar 190 with the LT1 powerslot combo.
Just a few questions for Maristar owners:

What is the best engine for this boat?
What is the top speed?
How is the wake for slalom? (not the course, just free skiing)
Barefoot? Wakeboard?
How well does the boat ride in the rough stuff. (rivers and lakes)
My prostar was a great ski boat, I'm after more of a family ski boat now with more room and a better ride.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave
Old 08-11-2004, 05:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Dave,

My X30 should qualify for what you are looking for. I bought the boat for the same reasons you state and couldn't be more pleased.

I have the LTR and it is plenty for the boat. I've never seen the 8.1 in one but it was available.
Top speed for me with full tank, 2 kids, 2 adults, skis, boards, gear is 47ish on the Perfect Pass. Don't have a GPS to verify.
Slalom wake is big but manageable for recreational skiing, but that is the trade off for rougher water capability.
It has been rated as one of the best wakes for boarding, and they are easily tweaked by additonal or shifting weight in the boat. I don't barefoot.
Rough water capability is great for this type of boat. I've been caught in some serious swells on big lakes and never felt uncomfortable. It cuts the rough stuff and doesn't slap or bang as long as the speed is kept reasonable...I previously owned several offshore boats and was pleasantly surprised at the X30s rough water ride.

I hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Leroy

I have a 2001 230 VRS with the LTR engine and I have been very happy with the engine (and the boat!). For just my family we are 5 and there is plenty of space.

Attached is pix of the wake at 36MPH (of course I never ski at that speed!). Top end for me is 45/46 on PP, also not GPS confirmed. I barefooted in college, but not enough to know if this wake is good for that. I think stock it is pretty good for wakeboarding.

It does go through rough water pretty good, as my lake gets very rough on the weekends just from other boats. Let me know if you have any other questions.