Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X9,2004, MCX
Need help, brake issue on 2004 trailer

Guys I have a tandem axle disk brake mastercraft trailer. I've noticed that the brakes have stopped working effectively and now when I take off after a stop there is a hard jolt, I'm assuming related to the master cylinder and brake issue as they developed simultaneously.

I opened the cap of the master cylinder and the fluid is dirty and there is sludge in the bottom of the reservoir.

My questions are, should I just replace the master or is there a way to flush all of the crud out of the system? What would be causing the heavy jolt as I take of from a stop?

Thanks for any and all recommendations or suggestions! I have a 15 yr old girl who is going to be very upset if Dad doesn't get the boat to the lake this week. :-)
Old 06-26-2016, 08:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X9
The hard jolt could be normal as the trailer has surge breaks unless it has gotten worse over the years.

X9 owner here too!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM
TT Newbie

Hey Kyle,
Yeah the jolt has gotten worse, 2 seasons ago it wasn't there, last season thought it was just the new tow vehicle. Now it's gnarly, feels like it wants to rip the hitch off the truck even if I accelerate really slow.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Hey Kyle,
Yeah the jolt has gotten worse, 2 seasons ago it wasn't there, last season thought it was just the new tow vehicle. Now it's gnarly, feels like it wants to rip the hitch off the truck even if I accelerate really slow.
Yeah then that's not right. Unfortunately, that's over my mechanical knowledge and ability.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X Star MCX, Acme 1479 prop
Seems to be a common problem for these older Mastercraft trailers. I have a 2007 tandem with disc brakes on both axles. My Reliable mechanism in the swing tongue was doing the same thing as yours. But one step worse....my brakes would actually lock up while towing. I could tell it was happening with the added strain on my engine. And the discs would get super hot real fast. It was very hard to get the brakes to release, and you are on the side of the road with weekend traffic. Not fun. There are a number of threads under Trailers. You will see this problem discussed many times. I just replaced my Reliable tongue with the UFP tongue that is made to be an exact replacement for MC Reliable tongues. No more hard knocks when taking off or stopping. The UFP system has much more cushion, as they are supposed to have. You can look up UFP online, and see the replacement part. Approx $450 delivered. I had mine installed by a trailer shop for $180. Some will say it is a do it yourself job. Probably is, but I wanted to make sure an expert helps me stop my Xstar, when I need to stop it.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 PM
TT Newbie

Dger,
Thanks for the input, I'll look up those threads and see what I can find.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Replace the master cylinder and bleed the brakes until fluid comes out clean.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 PM
TT Newbie

Footer,
I think that's what I'll do first. Will let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X Star MCX, Acme 1479 prop
Good luck at finding a master cylinder....if it is a Reliable tongue. They been out of business for a while, and forum members have stated replacement parts have not been available for years. That is why most go the UFP route. Again, it depends on which tongue you have, but most are Reliable during the year make of your trailer. Just trying to save you some time in the event you want to be out at the lake soon.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 PM
TT Newbie

Yeah I understand about the replacement mc,
I think I'll try the clean and flush in the slim chance that it works, if not I guess I'll bite the bullet and go with the new kit. Hopefully won't need the calipers but not looking good.

Thanks again guys.