Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
dsuthy190

Shredded Water Pump Impeller

My water pump impeller shredded earlier this season and I replaced it w/ no problem. After running the engine two or three times it began to overheat. I thought I just had a stuck thermostat so that was also replaced. When I replaced the thermostat I also backflushed the engine...... or I thought I did it properly. I am thinking that the pieces of the impeller are still stuck inside my engine and I am not entirely sure of how to properly backflush the motor to get them all out so I can have some fun wakeboarding. The boat only heats up very quickly if I start running at a speed anywhere over 25 mph or 3000 rpm. Is this a problem that I am going to have to have someone else take care of or can I do it on my own? The boat is a 96 ProStar190. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
I had the same thing happen a few years back. I was lucky my pieces went right through with out clogging anything.
You will need to check the hoses going into the exhaust manifold.You might even have to seperate the riser from the manifold. there is an area there than can get clogged.

If you didnt check all around the thermostat housing, I would check there again.

It would not be clogged by the impeller, but I would also check the input side of the transmission cooler. It could have some trash in it causing these problems.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
When my father-in-law shredded an impeller last year, we pulled every hose and checked for pieces all the way back to the transmission cooler. We found them somewhere in between the t-stat housing and the water pump. No high temp problems since then.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
dsuthy190

Question hmmmm.....

I pulled off the top of the Manifolds and checked in the places you told me and still found nothing...... I replaced the hoses coming from the thermostat going to the manifolds and washed out the others..... I also checked my tranny cooler and there was still nothing clogged in there. I still cant find any of these pieces....... is it possible they are just lodged and wont start blocking anything until there is enough water pressure to push them up to make a blockage.....?? I know the faster the motor runs the more water it needs so is it possible they are just sitting in the bottom somewhere until the pressure builds enough?? and how do i remove them from there? I am sure that it is not the water pump causing the problem b/c it would overheat at lower rpm's or while it was just idling.... or i could be mistaken about that as well... Please help!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Have you hooked a hose up to the engine to see how the water flow is?

One other thing that comes to mind is a bad thermostat.I have gotten non-wrking thermostat's before. You can try taking the thermostat out and run the engine, to see if it runs hot.

other than that, it is beyond me.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Taking the t-stat out should make it run cold, not hot, right? Doesn't the t-stat restrict the cooling water from being circulated into the motor? Removing it means you have all cold water going through the block. Or am I confused?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfitzgerald351
Taking the t-stat out should make it run cold, not hot, right? Doesn't the t-stat restrict the cooling water from being circulated into the motor? Removing it means you have all cold water going through the block. Or am I confused?
I think you're right
unless the speed across the water = waterflow moving faster across the motor and not allowing it enough time to cool off the surfaces?? That is a stretch though.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Waterflow really wouldn't matter much. The water moving past the engine would still be a colder temp and the heat transfer would still take place. You could carry more heat away I'd think since the water moving in the engine wouldn't get as hot, keeps the temp gradient up, which is what moves heat.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Oh, and I'm thinking now that if you haven't located the pieces taking off your thermostat is probably a bad idea. The t-stat would likely keep the pieces from getting in the internal cooling passages of the engine where you'll really not find them.

I think you just have to pull all the cooling hoses and keep looking. Never done this so not sure how much more help I can be. Let us know what you find!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
dumb question: Did you check the "new" impeller to be sure nothing's gone wrong with it since you started having all this trouble?