Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastecraft Prostar 190, Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Electrical "bug"

Hey all,
New to this website. Just moved to Granbury, TX and "aquired" and 88' PS190. Been working on it for the last two mnths now after an overheat problem. Anyway, I have got some pretty good mechanical apptitude, but there are a few things throwing me for a loop. I have an electrical gremlin that I haven't really sunk my teeth into yet but I figure I would get some ideas first. What I really would like to find is an entire electrical schematic for the boat. I have looked here and have only come across the engine schematic. My problem is when I turn on the blower, all the guages jump. Oil pressure gauge jumps about 10 psi, and so does the eng. temp guage. I suspect a possible bad ground or something grounded in the wrong place. Looking for some suggestions and thoughts.

Nik
Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Learjet-Welcome-Where are you at in Granbury? Are you on the water? We need more North Texans here?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well heck yea I'm on the water. I'm just up river of the 51 bridge, in what is termed "Stroud Creek". Basically across from Nettie Baccus elementary in the Andrews addition. Familiar?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Learjet, welcome. When all the gauges jump, does the voltmeter drop as well? The power to the gauges (and the ignition) runs through the kill switch mounted just below the throttle. Over time, these switches are known for becoming resistive or just plain open. If the boat still runs, your is definately not open, but it may be impacting the amount of voltage available to the instruments. Another issue on the older boats is it seems the main harness is only supplied with a 10 gauge wire which just did not seem large enough on my '92. When I cranked up the music (standard stereo, no power amp or sub-woofer) I could actually watch the volt meter bounce to the base of the music. I checked the voltage at the battery, and it was almost 1.5 volts higher at the battery then at the dash. That is a bit excessive for a 15 foot run. IMHO

Good Luck.

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Now that you mention it I think the volt guage does drop a volt or so. So I think you are on to something about a resistance build up somewhere under the dash. I can eliminate the wiring I guess by running a jumper wire and bypassing the 12v input to the kill switch and working my way upstream. Just not looking forward to working under there. Such a pain to access. Plus it is cold down in the boat house!!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjet2230
Well heck yea I'm on the water. I'm just up river of the 51 bridge, in what is termed "Stroud Creek". Basically across from Nettie Baccus elementary in the Andrews addition. Familiar?
No, but we need to try and hook up this summer!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Roger that! If you have ever been to Granbury coming from Weatherford, if you cross the bridge, I live to the right!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by learjet2230
Hey all,
New to this website. Just moved to Granbury, TX and "aquired" and 88' PS190. Been working on it for the last two mnths now after an overheat problem. Anyway, I have got some pretty good mechanical apptitude, but there are a few things throwing me for a loop. I have an electrical gremlin that I haven't really sunk my teeth into yet but I figure I would get some ideas first. What I really would like to find is an entire electrical schematic for the boat. I have looked here and have only come across the engine schematic. My problem is when I turn on the blower, all the guages jump. Oil pressure gauge jumps about 10 psi, and so does the eng. temp guage. I suspect a possible bad ground or something grounded in the wrong place. Looking for some suggestions and thoughts.

Nik
My '89 does the exact same thing. It has a new kill switch so I don't think that's the problem. I've always suspected the ground. I'll be watching this thread.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

As soon as I get a warm day I plan to get my meter out and start ringing wires.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14 & '93 Prostar 190
Some ideas

I've had similar problems with my '93 Prostar. Mine was a combination of both the kill switch and a bad ground. I found the bad ground first, it was on the back of the engine block under a plastic cover. The main ground wire is connected to the block there, mine was quite corroded.

This still didn't fully solve my problem. I finally tested the kill switch and found that I was loosing 1-2 volts at the kill switch.

Hope that helps.