Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Tow vehicle iPod adapter

I just got a 2008 GMC Sierra. I note that these newer GM vehicles have an AUX-IN jack for a mini-plug for MP3 payers. Sort of like the Clarions in our boats, you attach the iPod via the headphone jack.

That's OK, but I noticed that GM has an adapter as a dealer-installed option called Personal Audio Link, which is an iPod dock connector. It allows control of the iPod from the vehicle's stereo, as well as all the song and playlist data. It's about $200 installed from the dealer. Same thing as we're seeing on the Chrysler ads - Apple apparently helped GM, Ford, and Chrysler develop the interface. GM seems to be a little behind the curve in terms of the details....I asked my dealer about it - he knew nothing. Asked the service manager - nada. He looked it up - "huh!" (this is a big dealership).

So I gave up on that idea, but found the same thing from P.I.E called GMLAN Pod/S (catchy marketing) for $179. It was about a 10 minute install - completely plug and play (interface plugs are behind the glove box). It took longer to figure out where to put the 6 feet of iPod connector cable. Works great.

If you have an iPod and a 2007-later GM with satellite-ready stereo, this thing is pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X star PWT
Sounds cool. I want one!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
nothing for 06 right? the nav and everything's completely redone isn't it?

bummer. right now, i'm just using the a/v rca inputs on the rear dvd player. kind of ghetto with the wire hanging down, but i guess it works.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I installed a similar product from PIE awhile back. My stock stereo did not have RCA inputs, yet had an AUX feature (probably for a DVD player). I purchased a product from PIE that allowed me to install a plug and play feature for an RCA input. I use it for my Sirius, but have been known to also plug my iPod in as well. It works great.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X 25
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/

I used one from this company.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
PIE has several different adapters - look at their website and I suspect there's some kind of interface for the 06s. The difference in the 07 and 08 is their LAN interface, which allows the data from the iPod to show up on the radio display.

The thing I found I like about this PIE interface is that you can choose whether you control the iPod from the iPod, or from the stereo controls.