Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Used Skyski question

Ok, so I've been searching for a used skyski and found one with a cast foil, not billet.

Question: will this foil be good for a beginner like me until I hone my skills enough after a few years?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
dude from what i have heard it will be plenty good!!!! they are tough to learn!!! lean forward!!! and then more forward!!!!!!!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:50 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
It depends on the foil design, not on whether it's cast or not. Is this an actual Sky Ski brand or an Air Chair?

Air Chairs have a cast foil and I think they're easier to learn on than any of the Sky Skis, but even that depends on what model and vintage of Air Chair.

Need more info. What brand? Which model? How old?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
be carefull. as with all sports air chair can hurt u!! one of my buddies got a concussion lst weekend on one. he even had helmet on!! be carefull!!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
TT Hero

Bigmac, it's a Skyski about 8-9 years old with cast foil. Has cinchmax foot stays and a new belt. Looks to be in good shape, price $650. Sounds like a good deal to me, plus I could always upgrade in a few years and sell it on e-bay.

What do you think?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
njskier

Sounds like good deal to me too.For a beginner that would be a good first ski.And like you said it has Cinch footstays and a new belt(cinch belt??).
In a few years(I mean months) you could put it on ebay and almost get your money back then upgrade.

A few tips on getting up...
-16-20 mph
-use a deep-V handle.
-keep the tip of the board up.
-look up at the tower.
-Hands on knees.
-DO NOT PULL ON HANDLE!!!! Let the boat do the work.
-As soon as the board pops up on the surface of the water lean way forward and have your hands up...it looks goofy but this trick works.
-Just ride around with the board on the water.
-once you feel comfortable start to straighten your back up.Don't lean back too far.
-Then slowly bring in the handle so your elbows are at your side
-Don't try and "muscle"the ski..Be smooth.
-If you feel things gett'n outta controll. Hands up and lean forward.That's your "saftey zone"

REMEMBER
-Handle up=makes the board go down.
-Handle down=makes the board go up.
-Steer with your Knees.

Did I miss anything Bigmac??

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
I've got a Sky Ski that is about 4 years old and has the cast foil. We really enjoy it and it will still be a while before I need to upgrade. It sounds like the one you are looking has some nice additions to it. I'd say you will be able to get quite a bit of use from it before you are ready to move up. If the Sky Ski is kept in good shape, they also seem to hold their value pretty well. Be sure there are no nicks or chips taken out of the foils or strut.....it only takes a small change in their shapes to cause big problems in handling.

I'll warn you in advance, they are a ton of fun and you will be putting plenty of hours on your boat towing it. In the learning stages (its not that hard to learn) you will be going quite slow....maybe 12mph and it would be pretty hard to hurt yourself.

You might want to ask questions about this particular foil (find out the exact model) at http://www.foilforum.com/forums/
Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
Ok, so I've been searching for a used skyski and found one with a cast foil, not billet.

Question: will this foil be good for a beginner like me until I hone my skills enough after a few years?
Buy it and ride it!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 05-31-2008, 07:56 AM
TT Hero

Too-Tall, thanks for the tips.

LLS, I'm on foilforum already. Nice people over there.

Tex, I'm going to buy it!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Without knowing the specific foil, hard to know about its suitability as a learning device, but the two things that make learning hardest, IMHO, is a foil that's got too much lift and a foil that's too responsive. You can always kill some lift by shimming the rear wing and/or tying a piece of string around the strut, and you may find that helpful. You'll find, as you start out, that the foil will start to come out of the water and keep taking you up and up until you fall over to one side or the other. And if the foil is too responsive, you'll be doing a lot of porpoising in the early stages. It can be a very frustrating learning curve.

I taught a number of buddies on my Stealth Air Chair. When I switched to a Sky Ski B39, I found that I enjoyed it a lot more, but I couldn't teach anyone else to ride it without taking a wrench and completely reconfiguring it. I conclude that a hotter foil like the B39 isn't a good learning device, although I admit it may also be my lack of skill as a teacher, and the older foil you're talking about may not have the same problems.

Good luck. I do agree that hydrofoiling is an absolute blast and very addictive. The biggest problem with it in my case is the cumbersome-ness of the device. I don't have a tower rack for it, so it sits on the floor of the boat and it takes up a lot of room, not to mention toe-stubbing potential. For us, it's a simple matter to just swing by the dock and drop the thing off. For storage, I've rigged a rack on inside of the canopy of my boat lift.