Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 2003, X2, MCX
How to De-Winterize a Boat

I've seen a lot of check lists for what needs to be done to winterize a boat. Does anyone have a checklist of things to do to de-winterize a boat (i.e. prepare it for the first run of the season). I actually have a pretty good idea, but there is always a possibility I forgot something.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Assuming I've done all my maintenance during the winterization process, all I do is: check fluid levels (oil, transmission, battery), replace any drain plugs and reconnect hoses that I may have left unconnected, install new impeller, bring it home and start it up in the driveway. At this time, I look for leaks and such. After I run the first tank of gas out, that has been stabilized, I may change the plugs. That's it for me.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Interesting comment on changing plugs after you run through the tank of stabilized gas. Is it hard on plugs?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I have no idea. I just figure if it's time for a plug change, I'm going to do it after I run all the old, stabilized gas out of it, along with all the fogging oil. I suspect the stuff gets burned off right away and it doesn't make a difference, but it's just the way I do it.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I made this last fall to help me remember what I needed to do. It's pretty extensive (based on MC's recommendations and quite a bit of the stuff JimN and others have posted). One is for winterize. One is for dewinterize. Read them both because some things I do in the fall may be something others don't. You can probably get by with less, but this is just what I do. Enjoy.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

east_tx_skier, you are the man! Thank you very much.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
MC Hero

You're welcome. It was written with a couple of family members of mine as a perceived audience. Sorry if it's a bit too descriptive.

P.S. There should be something about lubing the steering cable in there as well.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
P.S. There should be something about lubing the steering cable in there as well.
Great lists east tx. I was told NOT to grease the steering cable.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
MC Hero

It's listed in my manual under annual maintenance. It's not technically part of the winterization procedure, but I do my annual maintenance at the same time.

There should also be something in there about checking the brake fluid reservoir on the trailer.

/laughing at your signature. On a homebrew discussion forum, my signature was a homer simpson quote telling marge "maybe it's the beer talking, but you've got a butt that won't quit."

I was emailed by the adminstrator to change my signature as there had been complaints. Miffed, my signature was changed to (and still reads) "I can't believe you were offended by that."

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-25-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Before cranking the engine, I remove each spark plug & squirt WD40 down each cylinder.

After it's been started, then I replace the plugs before heading to the water.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.