Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft
Rope Length

Hey everyone,

Having some issues with Rope length/boat speed.

I would say I am a intermediate rider landing the typical moves. Backroll, hs bs 360, tantrum....etc.

I have an X-2 and my line can go out to 85 feet. Currently, I ride at 76 feet and 22 mph.

Any Suggestions??

Its just not feeling right.

Thanks

D
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
What issues are you having? 75' at 22mph is a very common speed / length. Are you casing it, going to the flats, or what?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft
Well-

I can clear the wake fine, but I don't think I am getting out into the flats as far as I need/want to. I also feel like I am not getting the height on back rolls.

I took the rope out to 85 feet/25 mph this weekend to try it and I could still clear the wake, but didn't feel like I was getting the pop I get closer in.

I don't know just curious to see what other people are doing
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Hard to diagnose those kind of problems w/o seeing you ride, but I will bet you that you need to work on your progressive edge. Start slow and really build the line tension all the way off the top of the wake. This is really important for the backroll. Also, it will seem weird, but make yourself wait longer before initiating the rotation on the backroll. The longer you wait, the more pop/height you will get. It is hard to make yourself wait though.

I know these are pretty basic things, but these are textbook things that hinder most riders. Even if you think you are using a progressive edge, it can always get better. Just break everything down into small steps, and get each small step perfect, and the whole trick will be much easier, and help you progress. Most of the tricks you mentioned are building block tricks, so make sure you get them dialed in CORRECTLY. Bad habits are hard to break.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
my suggestion would be this... ride the shorter line 70' at about 22-23 mph (whatever makes the wake crisp) and don't get so far out and crush it at the wake... i went through a similar thing... i wanted to get the line out at 80' and i would crush it at the wake to get a across and i would get no height off my jumps... dropped it back to 70' and only getting about 10-15 ft outside the wake and working on the approach to the wake and my progressive edge and getting the most amplitude i could... much more fun... and when you start landing the higher jumps out in the flats then start letting the rope out... longer rope lengths aren't to make you a better rider... it's to save your knees... landing in the flats is rough on your body and the more you get comfortable w/ the progressive edge and getting serious amplitude the naturally further you will carry in the air... you're going to want to learn most of your inverts on the shorter line anyways... then as you get more comfortable w/ them take them bigger to the longer line lengths... the only really inverts you're not going to want to learn on shorter lengths is probably going to be raley based tricks... everything else i'd do them on 65'-70' until you get them dialed... shorter rope will still give you plenty of air to get those tricks down

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 06' 197 TT, MCX,PP6.5ng
I'm just starting out with boarding as well. 197 with a mini-tower. Only ballast I have runs me about $4.27 a gallon. Anyways - would the line length change with the boat? Where is the best place to be on a 197?
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Just start short, and work your way out. You want the wake clean (no wash), but want to have a lip on it. 65-70' is a good place to start, and just see what you like.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
you basically will want the wake to white cap right behind the rider... get your weight in the boat distributed in the boat evenly then adjust speed and length from there... get the rope length on whatever length you're comfortable riding/jumping the wake at... (going out to 80' line off the bat is going to do nothing but frustrate you and take you that much longer to progress...) best is to start at a short length and set speed there and then decide if you want to be further out as you get better... landing in the flats a lot is a clear sign you need to be on a longer rope... if you don't like the slower speed you can always speed the boat up .5-1 mph to get it feeling more comfortable... but mainly... you just want the weight in the boat even and the wake not washing on one side or the other and you want it white capping just behind the rider

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
65 feet @ 20-23mph loaded should put you in the sweet spot