Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 209 310 Predator
Replacing floor in 83 stars/stripes

Guys, gonna tackle replacing floor soon. Needing some advice from those that have done it already......one thing I've noticed in addition to the floor having soft spots, there are a couple of places where there is a perfect circle that is soft....about the size of a tennis ball. Any ideas as to what this is? Any advice y'all can give would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Soft spots in floor

If it's a late '83 it has the fiberglass stringer construction. The soft spots may be the location of the holes where the foam solution is poured into the hull.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and stripes
I did this in my 1982 stars and stripes, it had wooden stingers fiberglassed in what kind of stringers do you have? They changed from wood to fiberglass stringers in 82/83
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

TPH, I think you're right on the money.........as it looks like foam when I pulled the carpet up......not sure what stringers I have though.....I need to somehow find out if I can give someone my hull ID number to tell if it was built when they started using fiberglass stringers..........Amber6, how hard was it to redo the floor?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Gamble i have redone the stringers, cut out the new floor and am going to fiberglass it tonight. I can send you some pictures of the process so you can see what your gettin yourself into if you want
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
After your expericence w/ the flooring, sounds like you could fly out and give him a hand w/ his
Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
well we will see after tonight lol i dont want to count my chickens to soon!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the input........I'd like to see some pictures. I'm hoping at the end of the summer to pull all my seats/bases out tear out the carpet and see what I'm in for.....it really needs to be done, so at least I'll have the opportunity to see how y'all did it. Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, S&S, 83
here's a cutaway showing the stringers and an '83 with the floor removed - you can see the circles you mentioned - they are holes where the foam was injected. I did not remove the floor on my boat. Instead, I located the stringers and secured the loose areas with stainless steel screws then filled the dimples they created with resin. It was a cheap easy fix. I did not want to bite off more than I could chew.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Response LXI
Rip it out man!

I tore out the floor on my 1983. No problem. Used a 4 inch cut off wheel. Be careful to not cut the stringers! After I tore the floor out, I removed the water logged foam and had it resprayed with new 4lb density closed cell polyurethane. Reinstalled the floor using 3M 5200 adhesive and stainless steel screws. Fiberglassed the edges and wa-la new floor.

It really is not that hard. PM me and I can give more details.