Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 LT-1 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk52 View Post
Don't limit yourself to a V6 in the smaller vehicles. Get a V8 and be done with it.
I can't resist.....

Don't limit yourself to a little toy 1/2 ton V8 gas truck. Get at least a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and be done with it. I mean if you don't have 2 to 3 times the tow rating of what you want to tow then surely it cannot work.

Let's not forget the topic of the thread is Ridgeline OR Pilot. Nothing about Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc......The question was asked how they tow from people that own them. Answer is, mine has towed my 190 fine. My uncle's tows his Maristar 200 fine. Neither of us tow them much but can and have. Others have answered that they tow with them too. One guy said he cannot pull a '99 X-Star up a big hill with a Pilot (won't even go) yet a 4.7L Dodge has no trouble. I wonder if the Pilot was accidentally in second gear or the parking brake was set or something? Just find it odd that a small V8 has "no problem" and the Pilot was not even capable of moving it.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 Brendella
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperScott View Post
I wonder if the Pilot was accidentally in second gear or the parking brake was set or something?
That is a great point. People get in these and do not understand how they work. "I always used to tow in 2nd with my old Chevy". Well, with the Honda if you put it in 2nd it will only be in 2nd, not 1st into 2nd. They say this is useful if stuck or on slippery surfaces, I have never had to use it. Also, the VTM4 lockout should only be used if you are stuck, and not over 15mph. It will tear up the clutches in the transfer case if used for extended driving.

A great source of Ridgeline info is the www.ridgelineownersclub.com forums, lots of knowledgable folks, just like here!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
OK, so what makes a difference for towing...

Wheelbase:
Ridgeline: 122"
Pilot: 109.2"

Weight Distribution F/B:
Ridgeline: 58/42
Pilot: 56/44 (2WD) 55/45 (4WD)

Curb Weight:
Ridgeline: 4504 lb
Pilot: 4319-4608 lb
WASH (all sorts of weights in beween for Pilot)

Towing Capacity:
Ridgeline: 5,000 lb
Pilot: 3,500-4,500 lb

The Ridgeline is the clearly the better hauler.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93' Rinker Captiva 209, 350 Mag MPI Bravo 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperScott View Post
I can't resist.....

Don't limit yourself to a little toy 1/2 ton V8 gas truck. Get at least a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and be done with it. I mean if you don't have 2 to 3 times the tow rating of what you want to tow then surely it cannot work.
Sure the Honda can work. But are there better options for what he wants? We all know the answer is yes.

As far as the topic? This thread is over a year old so they guy has already got what he wanted and I don't want Maristar Man to post a million threads about his new pickup that won't tow properly hahahaha. j/k MM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 LT-1 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk52 View Post
Sure the Honda can work. But are there better options for what he wants? We all know the answer is yes.
If what he wants is a vehicle with the primary purpose of towing then yes, I agree. But Then again if that's the case then the best option is not a gas V8 either now is it?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X14, 2008, MCX
Yukon XL, Suburban, or Escalade XL. Once you own one you realize there is no better boat hauling, people hauling, cargo hauling, vehicle out there. So strong it's easy to forget the boat's back there and you have total flexibility over a bunch of people, gear, or both. Yukon and Tahoe are good (used to own a Tahoe) but when you go that far why not get the rest of the truck when it's not much more. You'll be glad you did and never go back.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioX14 View Post
Yukon XL, Suburban, or Escalade XL. Once you own one you realize there is no better boat hauling, people hauling, cargo hauling, vehicle out there. So strong it's easy to forget the boat's back there and you have total flexibility over a bunch of people, gear, or both. Yukon and Tahoe are good (used to own a Tahoe) but when you go that far why not get the rest of the truck when it's not much more. You'll be glad you did and never go back.
Why not get a real truck? International CXT.........it's a diesel and can tow 20 tons. It might do the job.
Attached Images

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black

Tags
honda, pilot, ridgeline, tow, vehicle