Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-Star, 2007, LY6, 400HP, Black/Blue
Exclamation High pitch whining when engine slightly engaged

Hi I was wondering if any of you other MC owners have experienced a high pitch whining noise when you initially put the boat into gear. It sounds like it is coming from the drive train area. Anytime we are running 600-1300 RPM there is this constant whining noise. As soon as you start to pull up a skiier it goes away, but it is very annoying when just putting back to the downed skiier or when docking the boat. We use to have an '03 X-10 but have recently upgraded to an '07 X-Star (awesome boat by the way). The noise occurs in both boats. We thought it was just the X-10 but now that it is happening in the X-Star as well, we are beginning to believe it is a MC thing. Is this true? Can you get rid of it?

Thanks fellas
Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuncanAU View Post
Hi I was wondering if any of you other MC owners have experienced a high pitch whining noise when you initially put the boat into gear. It sounds like it is coming from the drive train area. Anytime we are running 600-1300 RPM there is this constant whining noise. As soon as you start to pull up a skiier it goes away, but it is very annoying when just putting back to the downed skiier or when docking the boat. We use to have an '03 X-10 but have recently upgraded to an '07 X-Star (awesome boat by the way). The noise occurs in both boats. We thought it was just the X-10 but now that it is happening in the X-Star as well, we are beginning to believe it is a MC thing. Is this true? Can you get rid of it?

Thanks fellas

I usually get a high pitched whining from Sodar upon entry, but once we get going it goes away.

Seriously - This is very common
Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
The high pitch noise you hear may be the CNC prop "singing". The way that the prop is cut makes it do this and it does not go away. Another option could be your transmission. Not sure what the gear ratio is in your boat but a powerslot tranny for instance makes more noise than a 1:1.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
You may also get a whining noise in neutral and in gear at idle if the raw waterpump impeller is worn and near needing replacement!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-Star, 2007, LY6, 400HP, Black/Blue
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I hate to be "that guy" but what is Sodar? Our noise also goes away once the boat goes a little faster, but if we could get the noise to go away completely it would be nice. However, as long as it is nothing that is tearing into the transmission or anything then I am okay with that. I don't know if it is the gear ratio since it occured in both the X-10 and X-Star. Since both of you say that it is common and most likely not a problem then I can sleep a little better now.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
Sodar is a modertor and slight instigator here on TT

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
you don't have any in-laws in the boat do you. If you speed up you can't hear them.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
You may also get a whining noise in neutral and in gear at idle if the raw waterpump impeller is worn and near needing replacement!
Yeah, that happened to me one spring...and I too thought it was a trans problem...however it did turn out to be the impleller!!

Check the simplest first!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
Check to see if it is the bushing in the strut. When the boat is out of the water spray wd-40 on the drive shaft where it goes through the strut. If it stops for a while either you have a worn bushing or a bent strut.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 99 PS 205 LTR
We had that problem also. Going thru the water at 1500-2200 RPM then to neutral there was a high pitched noise until the prop stopped turning or moving realitivly quickly through the water. It stopped a little bit before we lost steering ability as the boat slowed. I attributed the noise stopping to replacing the spark arrestor with a K&N unit. Our boat came from the dealer without an air cleaner.

The air cleaner was replaced in about 2001 and have not had the problem since. the impeller has worn out and benreplaced 2-3 times since also. She had about 150 hours in 2001, and has over 500 hours now with no high pitched whine since installation of air cleaner.

Boat is a 1999 PS 205