Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars and Stripes, 425hp/454 Chevrolet, Actual Marineworld/Africa USA Towboat
Removal and replacement of a propeller shaft?

I am going to replace the propeller shaft on my '82 S & S due to a slight bump last trip out. I found a new shaft at Skidim and need to give them an actual length to place the order. So, this weekend I will be removing the old shaft. Is there anything that I need to know or any little tricks that anyone can share with me as to this task? I have never done this before but, know that I am capable. The old shaft runs true to the strut and then I have a total of 1/4" to 1/2" wobble behind the strut at the propeller end of the shaft that is visible. I get a vibration at about 3000 rpm. Can a shaft be straightened or should I just buy a new shaft and be done? Any upgrades that can be done? Thanks, Rick
Old 05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Prostar 197, MCX
Easy enough to remove. 1. Remove prop. 2. Unbolt shaft coupling from transmission flange. 3. Remove coupling from shaft. 4. Slide shaft from the outside of the boat through the strut. A good machine shop should be able to straighten the shaft, saving you some money over a new shaft.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars and Stripes, 425hp/454 Chevrolet, Actual Marineworld/Africa USA Towboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPlane Pilot
Easy enough to remove. 1. Remove prop. 2. Unbolt shaft coupling from transmission flange. 3. Remove coupling from shaft. 4. Slide shaft from the outside of the boat through the strut. A good machine shop should be able to straighten the shaft, saving you some money over a new shaft.
Thanks CPlane, do I need to buy a prop puller? Rick
Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

Rick, sometimes you can get away without one. It all depends on how stuck it is. Penetrating oil (PB Blaster and the like) and/or heat may due the trick. If you do need one, I have used the harmonic prop knocker type (I know that skidim.com has them) and was amazed at how well it worked. Cheaper the the other type too.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
I pulled the shaft out of my boat (V-Drive) and had to use a shaft puller. No way could I have gotten it out without it....
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Some tricks.

1. when pulling off a prop loosen the nut, but leave it on the shaft. This is a keyed taper shaft, so the prop is essentially squeezing on that taper. If you can, place a block of wood against the hub of the prop and give it a wang with a rubber mallet. It will hopefully pop.

2. remove prop set aside, loosen packing nut and remove, you'll want to repack that, if you wish to have a dripless packing nut (OJ or PSS) this is the time to purchase it as well.

3. Coupling unbolted, you will see inside the coupling there is a nut, this must be unscrewed which can be tricky, its fairly easy to build a tool to help consisting of a peice of bar with holes drilled in it spaced to pick up the spacing of the shaft coupler, bolt the coupler to this tool. put penetrant on shaft nut, allow to soak (this step out of order I guess) then remove that bolt. To get the coupler off can be tricky, there are tools for it. Find a socket that fit between the transmission and shaft coupler and was smaller in diameter than the shaft, placed it in place and drew the flanges together with 4 bolts till there was some tension on the socket pushing out on the shaft. Give the coupling a hit on the side with a mallet and hope it releases from the shaft. Its a good idea to keep the shaft from squirting out and causing miscellanious damage a buddy holding it would do this, you just don't want that heavy lever messing around with anything, the strut should hold it pretty well though. Slide it out.

Good time to inspect the bushings in the strut.

Be careful not to warp those couplings by overdoing it on the bolt tension, application of heat/penetrating fluid should ease the amount of effort to get a release..
Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
TT Regular

88 PS190, Your a good guy for providing a full explaination. I need to remember to be less terse and more helpful in my responses.

To expand on removing the coupling from the shaft once the nut has been removed. I had one once that seemed welded on. Tried all the tricks I could think of without using special tools. No go. I thought out of curiosity if the little harmonic prop knocker would pop the prop, would the vibration or harmonics have any effect on the coupling. Screwed the knocker on the prop end of the shaft after the prop was removed, held the shaft by hand to keep it from moving, and gave the knocker a rap. Once I did I heard the coupling pop loose. Not sure if this was a freak happen stance or not, as I have not had to remove another one. But I would certainly try it again if I had a similar situation.

Last edited by CPlane Pilot; 05-01-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks to EVERYONE! I'm going to print this "Instruction Manual" and will let you know how it goes! Rick
Old 05-02-2008, 06:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPlane Pilot
88 PS190, Your a good guy for providing a full explaination.
The quality of my responses vary directly with how busy I am,

In this case I was busy all day studying, and so provided many helpful responses.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
PM at ya.....

'91 prostar 190