Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover777 View Post
I looked into powercoating and it seems they are limited to the size of trailer they can get into the oven. I will check a to see if there are other places around here that can do it...
These days, there is a huge amount of manufacturing companies that use/require powdercoating and most any of the larger metro areas have someone that does big ticket items, like utility trailers, tractor parts, large truck parts, race car/street rod frames and roll cages, etc.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Powdercoating is cool, but you cannot use any filler to get rid of the horrible welds and seams that MC leaves. I have heard of a few guys who went the powder coating route, who used JB Weld to fill all the welds for a smooth look. I have also heard rumors that PC is not a UV stable as automotive paint...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
It tends to chip worse too, at least on a harley frame. Looks better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Powdercoating is cool, but you cannot use any filler to get rid of the horrible welds and seams that MC leaves. I have heard of a few guys who went the powder coating route, who used JB Weld to fill all the welds for a smooth look. I have also heard rumors that PC is not a UV stable as automotive paint...
According to one of my body shop customers, http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/labmetal.html, can be used on metal as a filler prior to powdercoating. They use it on motorcycle and street rod frames.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Boat: 06 X30
This is probably the scariest thing I've ever down with a boat.

I'll probably just spot prime and paint the big stuff and worry about a full restore sometime later. I took a look at all the threads of getting your boat off the trailer and figured I could do the same. It wasn't until I got the trailer out from under the boat that I wished I had just drove over to Lake Martin and had the boat lifted and stored at one of the big marinas there.

I welded up some 4x4x1/4 onto 18x18x1/4 plates with 6x10x3/8 plates on top and then put towels over them. I feel good about that part. The front is sitting on two 12ton jack stands and I just left the floor jack under it as well. I welded up a nice little V shaped thing and then welded that to a 3/8 flat plate that got a 1 1/4 inch sold piece of round stock so it would stay on the floor jack. I'll have to get a photo of that once the boat is back on the trailer.

With a tandem axle trailer I had to move the jack and jack stands 4 or 5 times to get the trailer completely out from under the boat. What a PIA that was.

Before anyone asks, the tires are just under the boat for my piece-of-mind. I know it won’t do much but it makes me feel a little better.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM

I'm done except for the decals that go on the sides of the fenders. They should be here sometime next week.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 05-03-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Maristar View Post
I'm done except for the decals that go on the sides of the fenders. They should be here sometime next week.

Lookin good! Now lets get that spare tire cover on straight and you will have it made. One of my pet peeves.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
Lookin good! Now lets get that spare tire cover on straight and you will have it made. One of my pet peeves.
I'm going up hill so it just looks that way.