Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
Damaged Acme

On my first outime on the lake of the year, at an idle speed we banged the prop on what appeares to be a large rock. One blade is bent significantly, with the rest still in tack.

I'll be sending the prop out for repair shortly, but I'm curious if anything else was damaged including, but not limited to, the strut, shaft, or alignment. I got the boat out of gear almost instantly, but with the damanegd prop, it vibrated and rattled slightly going into gear - I engaged it 3 times, and idled slowley back to the launch.

The shaft still turns freely by hand, and there doesn't appear to be any play between the strut and the shaft. Visually, the shaft looks straight, and the alignment looks fine.

I'll be putting the spare on and water testing it today or tommorrow. Should I be concerened of other damages, or did the prop most likely absorb the energy created from impact? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS
On my first outime on the lake of the year, at an idle speed we banged the prop on what appeares to be a large rock. One blade is bent significantly, with the rest still in tack.

I'll be sending the prop out for repair shortly, but I'm curious if anything else was damaged including, but not limited to, the strut, shaft, or alignment. I got the boat out of gear almost instantly, but with the damanegd prop, it vibrated and rattled slightly going into gear - I engaged it 3 times, and idled slowley back to the launch.

The shaft still turns freely by hand, and there doesn't appear to be any play between the strut and the shaft. Visually, the shaft looks straight, and the alignment looks fine.

I'll be putting the spare on and water testing it today or tommorrow. Should I be concerened of other damages, or did the prop most likely absorb the energy created from impact? Thanks!
I did the same thing last year, only I hit the concrete ramp. Mine had a horrible vibration. I bent all three blades, too. I bought a new prop and I have no sign of any vibration at any speed. I wouldn't worry, the prop probably took all of it.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 225 VRS 1995
I would not worry about it. I have hit every tree stump and rock in the Cumberland River. Got them reworked....just like new.

I think that a prop is almost like a sheer pin on a PTO driven implement.....it gives, so everything else does not have to...
Old 04-05-2005, 11:08 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My understanding of things is you have to hit something pretty hard to bend the shaft. Hitting a channel marker at 27 mph will bend the shaft severely. At idle, I'd presume you have less to wory about.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
My understanding of things is you have to hit something pretty hard to bend the shaft. Hitting a channel marker at 27 mph will bend the shaft severely. At idle, I'd presume you have less to wory about.
That's a pretty precise calculation. You must have expreience.
Just messing with you, and I hope I have not jsut jinxed myself.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48 AM
MC Hero

Unfortunately, the whole experience is burned in my memory. The worst part was it wasn't even my MasterCraft.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 SN196
Send a message via Yahoo to ski36short
Pete, bummer dude! Welcome to the new lake huh! I would guess your prop took most or all of the damage - sounds like a minor hit. Keep us posted on how the repaired Acme works out. No one with a hammer can replace CNC'ed precision... I've never seen one but I heard the blades were pretty thin??

This weekend I hope to get my boat ready to go. Just in time to go out of town for the week.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:02 PM
MC Hero

Pete, as mentioned, repairing a CNC'd prop isn't a job for just any prop repair tech. I believe Acme has a couple of businesses they recommend for the job.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I would just send it back to Acme so you know that it is done right. I think the do the repairs for $85.

Bummer about the damage. That is the beauties of my lake. Nothing on the bottom but mud.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Can you re-do the CNC props or are they toast when you beat them up?

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)