Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 PM
skee

Smile Prop Replacement

I own a 1987 mastercraft prostar 190 and i am thinking of replacing my 13 x 13, 3 blade with a 4 blade prop. Does anybody know what pitch prop is needed and is there really any advantage to 4 blade over 3 blade. We are mostly wakeboarding with fat sacs in the boat..
Old 04-05-2005, 12:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
I would have said definately go with a 4-bladed prop but I see you mainly wakeboard so I do not think you will see that great of an improvement. When I changed by 3-bladed OJ for their 4-blade version on my PS205, the hole shot was very noticible. Not so important wakeboarding compared to skiing. I'm other people will be along soon to give you more advice. If you are going to buy a spare prop, I'd go for the 4-blade version. Just my .02
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
With wakeboarding, you're not worried about sacrificing a little top end. So, traditionally, a 4 blade would be the answer.

There has been a lot of discussion about props on the board lately. Brian M and I will be testing OJ's XMP 3 blade against Acme's 3 blade. I'm currently running the Acme. I got more hole shot and the same top end out of their 3 blade. I'm told that the XMP 3 blade will give me similar results, but I have not had the chance to test it first hand (but will soon). We will be posting the results soon. Whether you go 3 blade or 4 blade, look into a CNC-finished prop. They are more precise and will not vibrate as much as a wholly hand-finished prop. I and others have noticed other benefits as well. Do a search for "prop" and you'll have a lot of info at your fingertips. And keep your eyes out for the prop test results.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.