Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
brohem

Charging problems 82 S&S

I finally bought my dream ski boat 2 years ago and the only problem I have is that my battery will not charge while I run the engine. When I test the volts at the battery terminal I am receiving 12.4, but this is not enough to charge the battery. I had the alternator rebuilt, installed it, and I have the same problem, to little charge. I took the alternator back, they tested it, it tested fine, and they told me it could be the voltage regulator. I took off the voltage regulator and took it back to the shop where the alternator was rebuilt and they hooked both up to a testor (with me watching) and they both tested fine. The alternator put out 14+ volts and the voltage regulator was hooked up to the circuit.
When I rebuilt the engine, I cleaned and moved the ground cable, but I still have the same freaking problem. The amp meter on my dash stays slightly over to the negitive while the engine is running (even at high rpm) and what happens is that by the middle of the day on the lake, I have a dead battery and I have to hook up a second battery to keep on skiing. This stinks!

Electrical problems are my weakest area of knowledge, and I am at a loss to problem-solve this any further. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Tom in KY
Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Welcome to the board. Are you sure that the battery is good? I know I always get burned by the simplest variable in the equation. Otherwise, you got me. I hate dealing with electrical problems, too.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
brohem

Man that was a quick reply! I have had the same problem for 2 years now and the boat came with a 2 month old automobile battery and I purchased a deep-charge or deep-pull marine battery when I bought the boat thinking the 1st battery was the problem. Not so. Both batteries hold charges, but the boat won't recharge either of them. I have to recharge both batteries the night before heading to the lake=big bummer.

I am nervous about taking it to the dealer for a look-see. They have been a MC dealer for about 2 years and I am afraid the mechanics there wouldn't know a thing about a 23 year old MC, not to mention I could buy a new X-10 for what they would charge to fix it!

Tom
Old 04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Hmmmm... where did you relocate your ground cable to? I'd think you'd just need to trace back the voltage to the battery and figure out where it drops. If you have 14 at the alternator while running but only 12 at the battery it would sound like you need new battery cables or at least clean the connections up. I put new cables in my 1984 and it made a world of difference (though my problem was getting enough juice to the starter). Something to try, though I'm sure you'll get some more expert opinions from others shortly.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1984, PCM 351, 1:1
You may have a bad wire leading from the alternater to amp guage or from the amp guage back to the battery for charging. The way an amp meter is set up, in my opinion, is not a good way to charge a battery. This is because of the distance it has to travel to get to the battery. If you were to switch to a volt meter, you could basically have the charge wire go directly to the battery, instead of having to go all the way up to the dash and back. I would start by checking voltage at the alternator and work your way back. It is the only way to know where your problem is. Another note on the volt meter option is the original wiring harness will have an unused lead, tied up in the harness, specifically for converting to this type. Just a thought. I would check out www.skiboathelp.com for a diagram of the wiring set up. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I've seen similar problems on a friends older boat. Last summer, we replaced the connectors on the battery end of the cables & things were sweet for the rest of the season. We had cleaned & cleaned them more than once. But the problem was the corrosion between the connector & the cable..... which was tough to see till we pulled the connector off to replace it.
The connectors we used were bought at a high end stereo shop. They look like billet with a screw down to secure the cable. Cost was like $40, which I thought was high till the problems never showed up again.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Yeah, I'll second the connectors. After I put in the new cables 4 years ago I still ended up replacing the battery end connectors this year again. I guess I didn't do such a great job soldering them up the first time.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:00 PM
brohem

I can't believe how fast the replys have come. This board rocks! Thanks sfitzgerald351, arijunky, martini and jsonova99. New posts on the wires and terminal cleaning it is before I do anything else. Sfitzgerald351, does your boat really have a 454 in it? Dang, that must be some pull! Does your whole boat except the prop come out of the water when you hit it? How many horses? How many times have you had to have your arms re-attached?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
MC Fanatic

The 454 is fun, but to be honest a new boat with EFI 351 in it actually has more 'pull' to me. But I can drop a few skiers in the water and pull them all out no problem. We just figured out that the motor was rated at 325-335HP and who knows how much torque. It's fun, but drinks gas like a frat boy drinks beer.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 19 skier, 302 4bbl
Thanks brohem for starting this thread and welcome. My boat is doing the same thing, but not quite as bad. I will have to take the suggestions from the guys too. Thank you everyone.