Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 06:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Response LXI
Oil change how to?

My "new" boat has a 440 engine in it. There is no way I can get to the oil pan drain plug without pulling the motor. The dip stick hole does not have a threaded hose fitting on it so my oil sucker will not work. Before I tip the boat over to get the oil out I thought I would ask the forum for their ultimate wisdom. How do you get the oil out of this thing?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Seebeck
My "new" boat has a 440 engine in it. There is no way I can get to the oil pan drain plug without pulling the motor. The dip stick hole does not have a threaded hose fitting on it so my oil sucker will not work. Before I tip the boat over to get the oil out I thought I would ask the forum for their ultimate wisdom. How do you get the oil out of this thing?

Get a pump with or use a long stiff plastic tube on the end of your existing pump hose that goes down the dipstick tube into the oil pan to the bottom of the pan to suck out the oil. I'll bet the "Helpful Hardware Man" @ Ace Hardware can help you come up with something to make the plastic tube fit your pumps hose!

BTW, I've never seen a dipstick tube with a threaded fitting on it, it's usually just the bare end of the tube and in most cases the dipstick tube usually just goes a couple inches into the block or thru the pan. You've lost me with that one.
I believe we need some pictures to understand!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 04-13-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
I usually just flip my boat over??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:32 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
What is a 440?? Mine has a tube attached to the oil pan, that you can pull through the plug hole to drain the oil. Downside is it takes 19 days to drain out that hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Seebeck
There should be an oil drain hose connected to the bottom of the oil pan at the drain fitting that is designed to be pushed through the hull drain so you can drain the oil into a pan outside the boat. All Indmar engines are built that way. Be sure to warm up the oil by running the engine up to temp and be prepared to let it drain for a long time ... perhaps even overnight. Some people connect a pump to that hose and pump the oil out.

Many stern drives are built with hose fittings on the dipstick tube and the tube goes almost to the bottom of the oil pan so you can suck the oil out with a pump. We do not use that method as we prefer to drain from the bottom of the pan to get more of the old oil out.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
I usually just flip my boat over??

This coming from someone who applies "Nair" wherever.....doh

Extract the oil throught the dip stick cylinder with a pump designed to do this.

If your boat does not have the oil change hose from the bottom of the pan to the transom of the boat, it might be a good thing to install one...with the crankcase empty of course.....
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
440 is a Chrysler big block 440. Didn’t know Indmar worked with Chrysler, probably a PCM in an 80’s MC. Once you get your plug out, replace it with one of these http://www.skidim.com/departments.asp?dept=1054
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Response LXI
More info

The boat is a 1983 Pro Star "stars and stripes" The engine is a Chrysler marine engine it has Chrysler emblems on the exhaust manifolds so I do not think it is a PCM or Indmar conversion. The oil pan sits within 1/2 inch of the bottom of the bilge so getting the plug out would really require lifting the engine.

Where do you purchase one of the tools to suck the oil out of the dip stick hole?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Here is an example, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6001316, there is a rubber adapter that may work with your other pump so you can use the black tube into the dipstick tube,
Attachment 33637

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 05-14-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Here's what I used. It more than pays for itself the first time you use it compared to paying someone to do it. It comes w/a plastic tube you can snake down the dipstick tube. Like already mentioned, make sure you warm up the oil first. It's kinda slow, but you can also use it to drain the oil from your tranny. It has a 3.5 gallon capacity and I was able to get the ~2.5 gals out of my engine and the ~1 gal out of my tranny w/room to spare.

I got it thru Amazon and it looks like the price has dropped...

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17860-0...8136139&sr=8-2
Attached Images

Last edited by Hrkdrivr; 04-13-2008 at 10:35 PM.