Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Still Sticking when I return to Idle

Figured I'd start a new thread. I'm still sticking at around 1,200 RPMs when I pull back to idel. I lubricated the spring, and no difference. I hit it with carb cleaner and no change.

If I put a hefty return spring on there, it will bring it back every time, but safety feature or not, when I'm at ski speeds, I don't want that throttle creeping back on me. Not only does it defeat the purpose of perfect pass, if I'm driving and need to use my right hand to adjust something, I don't want to go from 34 to 20 in a matter of seconds with a skier in tow.

So my first question. With no return spring whatsoever, the throttle shouldn't hang at 1,200 or 2,000 or whatever when I got to neutral, right?

This all started after I got that intake installed. There was some slop in my throttle cable that was taken out. SWCC removed a little plate the cable near the linkage to tighten things up. Other than all this, the boat runs like a champ. Could it be a perfect pass issue. The servo knob is tightening as much as it's going to tighten.

Oh, and when it starts to hang, I shut things down. When I restart, everything, idlewise, is fine until I take it back up to speed and try to bring it back to idle.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Doug are you sure that your mechanic didn't put a kink in your cable or bend your carb linkage.I would pull the cable off and start checking for something that is hanging up.Since it wasn't hanging up before the intake install you would have to assume that something was damaged!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:39 PM
MC Hero

I'm going to take it in and have it looked at this week. The mechanic who installed the manifold was an auto mechanic. Somewhere, somehow, something got tweaked crosswise I think.

So do you agree that it ought to return to idle even without the spring on there. It was always my understanding that the spring was a last resort sort of thing in case the throttle cable broke or something.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not a pro. mech Doug so that said I think you have a problem with the cable or the linkage,since you paid someone to install it should be right.Sounds alittle scary to me.I would take the cable off the carb. and cycle the throttle to see if the cable is moving free.Then do the same to the carb.I don't think mine even has a return spring on the carb!Boat is in getting alittle gel coat touch up.So I can't tell you for sure.

Last edited by Brn85ss; 04-03-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: FLOATER
With the throttle in neutral, make sure there is zero play and all nuts are tight in all areas where the perfect pass cable and the regular throttle cable meet. Also make sure there is no gap in the area where the perfect pass cable comes through the "L" bracket. I would also check the mounting support thing that the stock throttle cable is attached to at the rear of the engine. Mine had 2 clamps and 3 or 4 adjustment positions in it and I had to re-mount the stock throttle cable back 1 hole position when I hooked up the perfect pass in order to get the correct throttle movement. I suspect when they installed the intake, they mounted something up in the wrong hole. If they monuted the throttle cable too far back, wouldn't this cause the throttle to stay partially open?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
MC Hero

After the mechanic installed the manifold, I started getting high revs right at startup. Went straight to SWCC and they checked the linkage and removed some slop. I'm just going to take it in and get it looked over top to bottom to get this licked. I think they took the mounting support off, but I could be wrong. I know they took the clamp aft of the linkage.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club