Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 06' 197 TT, MCX,PP6.5ng
Shaft Alignment

Has anyone here corrected a shaft mis-alignment? I just bought an 07' TT boat with the MCX/Slot. Boat has 75 hrs and is in great shape. I test drove the boat last week and it was pretty smooth - probably smoother than my 06'.

Initial shaft alignment check was never done, so I was pushing them to check it as part of sale. Initially it was $125 charge to check, but they agreed to do it as part of purchase.

Well....tolerance is .003" This one is at .007"

Now we are looking at 2 hrs of labor at shop rate to correct it.

Whats everyone's thoughts on this. Pay the $250 to have them correct it? Bring it home and do it myself?

Anyone done this before? Is it pretty straightforward?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
I would think, if your buying it from a dealer, then I would campaign that it be part of the purchase, just like a oil/filter change, transmission fluid change, impeller inspection/replacement and any other maintenance that probably should be performed on most any 1 year old boat prior to delivery to anyone.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

I agree 100%. I lost that campaign. The boat is paid for, and is being delivered later today. So this last minute call is especially frustrating. They know I have zero leverage here.

Having dealt with several dealers the last month or so regarding this purchase, I can tell you that the definition of 'required mtc' on 1 year old boats varies greatly.

Jerry
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
I would find myself a new dealer. Seems they dont care about getting you back as a customer because they already have your money. Any good dealer would have this taken care of free of charge.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 Stars and Stripes - also Beachcraft, Bowrider, 1983, V6 I/O
I have posted questions about this in several of the various forums here and gotten no answers. I will watch this to see if you get some help.

I have an older S&S and the shaft was damaged by being way out of line. I have the new shaft in place, and I'm about to break down and take it to a dealer and shell out the cash. I found new mounts at skidim, and other places, and I thought about buying one new one of each type - front and rear - to see how to get them to adjust. I can get the side to side adjustment just fine, but the screw jacks will not turn in the rubber isolators, and I am afraid to just get a bigger wrench and force them. The screw jacks are free in the various lock nuts and pintles, just not in the rubber. What part turns?

I have these:

Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

I guess the fact is that most of the TT boats being sold by dealers are brokered. Probably no real money to be made there by the dealers. Last year I worked with Chris Drabic at Boat House Marine in Ohio. Chris and his staff were top notch through the purchase and with support last year. I was spoiled.

Of the four 07' TT boats I have looked at this year - this one has been the best taken care of and maintained by the TT driver. I've seen the gamut this year - from 2 TT boats with dinged props, to another that was left outside all winter with its factory cover and booted bimini in the rain and snow (without an end of season oil change to boot!)

Oh well.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
I don't guess it's changed much in 20 years. It's all about getting the boat, using the boat and getting rid of it with as little friction as possible and make a few dollars by the Dealer/Promo/Tournament Team members. Yet there are a still a few dealers out there involved with the TT members who really want to do right by the next owner and "Hold MasterCraft To A Higher Standard" and apparently this guy may not be one of them. I feel for you! Maybe next year a phone call and road trip to MasterCraft of Charlotte, Bay Area Watersports or Chicago MasterCraft would yield a better experience and a better maintained boat by one of our "Outstanding" dealers who go beyond the call of duty to assure complete customer satisfaction!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209, 2003, MCX
If you're going to pay a dealer to do it, find a new one that might appreciate your business.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

This boat is coming out of the midwest actually, just not from Chicago. I took a road trip last weekend and met Eric at Chicago Mastercraft as well as Paul from Redline Watersports.

I wish the boat that Eric had was more in my price range, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I just spent $200 to have it aligned. There goes my shower upgrade project.

I guess I'm just being a bit on the cheap side. Afterall, we are talking about a $45K boat, and I'm peeved about $200 to align the shaft. I'm just irritated on principle.

Last edited by JerryS; 04-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 350 Indmar (My First)
How can you tale when one is becoming out of alignment?

excuse what may be a dumb question, but I am still a Newb when it comes to inboards