Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas3314 View Post
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)

V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 PM
FrankSchwab FrankSchwab is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.
Well, actually, they work just fine on my V-Drive. I've got plenty of clearance below the muffler to use two paint can openers every spring.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars.

/frank
__________________
1998 Maristar 200VRS
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
dooger's Avatar
dooger dooger is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 2000 ProStar 205 V 350 TBi
Location: southwest
Posts: 58
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
__________________
rtp
I'm catching up with myself.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 AM
coz's Avatar
coz coz is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooger View Post
Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
That should do the trick, I personally do it that way thanks to #1 and it slips right out.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooger View Post
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
CRC-556, WD40, or any type penetrating oil sprayed on/into shaft and hub of impeller and in the RWP housing/impeller vanes should help, then let it sit for a few hours to work.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
ksdaoski ksdaoski is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Boat: none
Location: NW
Posts: 273
old thread....
Does anyone know the size of the MC impleller offhand?

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod....mpeller+Puller

Use SDL #660020 for impellers 3-1/16" to 5" diameter
Use SDL #660040 for impellers 2-1/4" to 2-9/16"

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
GoneBoatN's Avatar
GoneBoatN GoneBoatN is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,689
I had one sitting on my work bench. It is 2 1/4 " in diameter.

BTW, I made a little impeller puller for just a few dollars using a couple of paint can openers, metal strap, bolt, washers, wing/nuts. See - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It allows me to use one hand to around both openers, squeeze and pull.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
ksdaoski ksdaoski is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Boat: none
Location: NW
Posts: 273
thanks!

that helsp
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
sp00ky's Avatar
sp00ky sp00ky is online now
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Location: southeast
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas3314 View Post
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)
It's a different world with the vdrive guys though. Ours is easy
__________________
This forum is amazing with quality people.: I did not think i'd ever own an Inboard. Now I finally have a gorgeous 94 205 I am glad I have ya'll backing me up.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
GoneBoatN's Avatar
GoneBoatN GoneBoatN is online now
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,689
If you want to feel bad about getting at the impeller, consider the Merc I/O. I had an Alpha I gen II which you had drain the lube and then separate the upper/lower outdrive unit. The v-drive is a piece of cake compared to that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.