Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas3314 View Post
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)

V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.
Well, actually, they work just fine on my V-Drive. I've got plenty of clearance below the muffler to use two paint can openers every spring.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars.

/frank
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 ProStar 205 V 350 TBi
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooger View Post
Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
That should do the trick, I personally do it that way thanks to #1 and it slips right out.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooger View Post
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.
CRC-556, WD40, or any type penetrating oil sprayed on/into shaft and hub of impeller and in the RWP housing/impeller vanes should help, then let it sit for a few hours to work.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
old thread....
Does anyone know the size of the MC impleller offhand?

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod....mpeller+Puller

Use SDL #660020 for impellers 3-1/16" to 5" diameter
Use SDL #660040 for impellers 2-1/4" to 2-9/16"

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I had one sitting on my work bench. It is 2 1/4 " in diameter.

BTW, I made a little impeller puller for just a few dollars using a couple of paint can openers, metal strap, bolt, washers, wing/nuts. See - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It allows me to use one hand to around both openers, squeeze and pull.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
thanks!

that helsp
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas3314 View Post
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)
It's a different world with the vdrive guys though. Ours is easy
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
If you want to feel bad about getting at the impeller, consider the Merc I/O. I had an Alpha I gen II which you had drain the lube and then separate the upper/lower outdrive unit. The v-drive is a piece of cake compared to that.