Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
sethro's Avatar
sethro sethro is online now
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
Location: Midwest-NW Illinois
Posts: 374
Wake Surfing Question

I've been wondering this for a while. I've never wake surfed and never even seen someone surfing in person. My question is this: Does the boat throw a continuous roller much like that of a pontoon at a slow speed (above idle but not too fast) or any other boat not on plane.

We've all encountered that perfect glass evening with the only other boat out there putzing at a slow speed causing a stern roller for what seems like miles...in essence ruining the water for all.

Just curious, does a surf setup cause that stern roller and subsequent roller coaster ride for any other boat in its path?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
coz's Avatar
coz coz is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro
I've been wondering this for a while. I've never wake surfed and never even seen someone surfing in person. My question is this: Does the boat throw a continuous roller much like that of a pontoon at a slow speed (above idle but not too fast) or any other boat not on plane.

We've all encountered that perfect glass evening with the only other boat out there putzing at a slow speed causing a stern roller for what seems like miles...in essence ruining the water for all.

Just curious, does a surf setup cause that stern roller and subsequent roller coaster ride for any other boat in its path?
??? Was Moses on that pontoon with you?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Lennyp04's Avatar
Lennyp04 Lennyp04 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RTP-1
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 1,520
Send a message via AIM to Lennyp04
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz
??? Was Moses on that pontoon with you?
He musta been, I've never seen a pontoon throw a wake.
__________________
-Lenny


2007 MasterCraft X-1, RTP-1, Ballast, MC Cruise, swivel board racks, Glacier White and Midnight Black
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 PM
rodltg2 rodltg2 is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: SN196
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 6,017
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
edeckerpc's Avatar
edeckerpc edeckerpc is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: 2007 CSX220 350MCX
Location: Northeast
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..
LMAO! I almost died sitting on a dock with a pontoon rolling by. It took almost 35mins to pass and left us in a refinery haze.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Aric'sX15's Avatar
Aric'sX15 Aric'sX15 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Location: Corinth
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..

HUH?
thats if your teak dragging. if your smart your 10 feet off the boat, closest i have is maybe 5 feet. not dangerous if your smart enough to stay far away from the boat.
__________________
"if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
sand2snow22's Avatar
sand2snow22 sand2snow22 is online now
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: MC
Location: p-town
Posts: 3,766
It looks something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DcibAnW_E
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
88 PS190 88 PS190 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,329
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric's205V
HUH?
thats if your teak dragging. if your smart your 10 feet off the boat, closest i have is maybe 5 feet. not dangerous if your smart enough to stay far away from the boat.

It can still be a serious issue, for people both in the boat and boarding, hence the side sweep exhausts, the CO can build up.

Heck even after 5 minutes I've had a headache before. And that's a sign that its there.

And if you make a wave it will go places, in this case the roller will be the length of the lake, so be smart and aim your wake at the shore.

When the person falls slow to a stop and idle back to the person, because turning around at those speeds will leave a roller where everyone else wants to be.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Location: _______Wastebasket_________________________
Posts: 13,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..
yes and it's very gay
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Upper Michigan Prostar190's Avatar
Upper Michigan Prostar190 Upper Michigan Prostar190 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Location: On the "Darkside" and loving it.
Posts: 12,497
When I wakesurf, I generally go behind a pontoon. we load one pontoon partially with balast water. works awesome.
__________________
Skidog, dont forget to take your Geritol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.