Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Selling motorcycle. Question on buyer test drive.

I posted this on the motorcycle forum I frequest as well but I figure I would ask you opinions on this as well. I am selling my motorcycle on Saturday..or so I hope. The buyer is coming over and will probably want to test drive the bike and all. My question is does anybody have a form or waiver someone would sign before a test drive? Something along the lines of the buyer assuming all financial liability if the bike is dropped and me assuming no financial liability if he wrecks and injures himself. I will be checking DL and using my judgement before I let him on the bike. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesmond
I posted this on the motorcycle forum I frequest as well but I figure I would ask you opinions on this as well. I am selling my motorcycle on Saturday..or so I hope. The buyer is coming over and will probably want to test drive the bike and all. My question is does anybody have a form or waiver someone would sign before a test drive? Something along the lines of the buyer assuming all financial liability if the bike is dropped and me assuming no financial liability if he wrecks and injures himself. I will be checking DL and using my judgement before I let him on the bike. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Your insurance is primary. You can have him sign a waiver you make up, but it won't hold water. If he wrecks it you allowed him to drive it so there will be coverage as long as you have coverage. But since the vehicle is in your name, the tag is registered to you, your insurace will have to pick up the tab if he hits somebody. Now on the bright side. Even if your policy has to pick up the tab, you shouldn't get the points He will. Good luck with it. Just so you know I tell all my clients to make sure and keep the insurance on a vehicle until it is SOLD for this reason..
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
Make sure to get his DL # for your records and see the DL to make sure its him. I've heard war stories from bike sellers that let the person ride the bike and never came back. Sport bikes inparticular
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
This may seem a little harsh, but personally I would not let him test drive it unless I had cash in my hand.

Motorcycles are not like cars. If a person buys a bike, they uisually know what they want. I would let him go through it, spark it up, kick the tires, but if he wants to take it for a spin, show me the money. If he doesn't like it after the test ride, I'll gladly hand him his money back.

No test pilots.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I've test rode bikes where the person had me give him the asking price, or agreed amount of money first. Then if they don't want it, give it back to them. That way you don't have to worry about legal papers, and lawyer fees if something goes wrong. Plus you don't have to worry about the person not having the money to pay for it that way either.

'91 prostar 190
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Dude, are you serious?

No way I would ever allow them to "test ride" a bike. I have sold 100's of bikes (literally) and not one time, never did I allow them to test ride first. I have heard of stories of wrecks thefts and so on. Don't do it.

I always say;

You hand me cash, sign the title and you can test ride it all you want. Otherwise there is no way I will allow it.

Most people will understand and those that don't... they just wanted to ride it... not buy it

I am serious don't do it...

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
cash in hand atleast.

maristars version is great, but on the buyers side you want to know if 3rd gear is missing before you buy it don't you?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Thanks for all the replys and help guys. I think its coming down to I will not let him ride it unless cash is in hand and he signs the bill of sale on it. There is a loan out on it so i cant sign the title over to him right then. Most dealership will not let you test drive bikes either.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
good idea, it would really suck to owe the bank for a bike that you no longer have

'91 prostar 190
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, 350 EFI, PP, 13th Floor Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow X9
Make sure to get his DL # for your records and see the DL to make sure its him. I've heard war stories from bike sellers that let the person ride the bike and never came back. Sport bikes inparticular
Yeah, kind of scary. The guy that bought my last bike got to watch me haul through downtown Austin and his first ride was after I had a check in my hand!