Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 209 X-9, 2004, MCX, Perfect Pass, Sirious,
Wrong time/place to start a family!!

I have read some great stories on the TMC Web page.
Here we have story of a 1997 ProStar 190 with LT1, purchased in 1999, the week before my daughter(1st born) was born. (Note: We sold our 1987 Bayliner to get it. Got at least 1k). I puchsased it with my brother. After about a month of pure satisfaction, our fuel pump started to whine. Within that same week the boat started to boag down at high rpm's.
So we started doing the obvious, replacing fuel filters, checking lines, checking pressures, rebuilt the fuel pump, check valve on top of the fuel tank, etc. "My brother has this wicked cool set of tools. " Everytime, after draining the system, the boat would run great, but after 1/2hour it would start to do the same thing again. This went on for a couple of weeks, while talking to different dealers and friends, trying everything. Finally, on a Friday, I told my brother I was going to "Next Day Saturday deliver" a fuel pump at $150+++ plus freight.
He went away for the weekend and I pulled the boat from the lake. Decided to pull the fuel tank while waiting for UPS on Saturday. Disconnected all the lines and started to pull the fuel baffle out of the tank, as I opened the top of the tank I started to see material/debris at the bottom. (Yeh, why didn't we do this in the first place.) I pulled the baffle out of the tank, dumped the material out, and inspected the rest of the tank for more debris. Put everything back together and started to inspect the debris removed--guess what it was---(5) frogs--the whole family.. Anyway, ran the boat perfect for a week. Same problem returned. Traced the problem back, and to my surprise, found another fuel filter located in the most peculiar location. Completely out of sight under the engine mount. The Frogs had also plugged this up. I cut it open, it was full of frog stuff.
To this day, I am not sure where the frogs came from. When we bought the boat the chain was missing off the gas cap--maybe some kids, or even further from reality, from the factory. I don't think frogs would just climb into a live gas tank.
Anyway it was the perfect time to have the most precious little girl in my life, wrong time for the frogs to start ther family unfortunately. My daughter is now five years old skiing up a storm. We just sold the "97" last season--got the same amount we paid for it--and bought a 2004 209 w/ tower. My son is going to learn to ski on this one. Hopefully we don't see the frogs again.
Oh yeh, I never put the fuel pump in and still have it. Is anyone looking for a fuel pump for a 1997 Lt1.

The Frog Story--what a freakin time that was!!
Will find pictures later!!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Ski 19 w/ 454
Wow! Crazy story.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:09 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Really great story. Should be a keeper.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Excelent story! Ya gotta wonder how those frogs got in there.

My kids were no where near you, I swear!

Last edited by ski_king; 04-01-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Great Story, looking back on it but I 'm sure it was frustrating when it was going on. We bought a 84 Nautique 2001, when my wife was pregnant with our first son 12 years ago. I sold it for $2000 more than I bought it 10 years later and now we have a 2002 - 209 with a tower. Of course we have 4 kids now, reason we need a larger boat to take them and any friends that want to go. The 209 id not have a tower originally but we ordered it immediately - best decision we made. All of our kids enjoy knee boarding, wake boarding and skiing, even a little bit of footin on the boom.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
If that fuel pump would fit a 94 TBI, I would take it.. I do not think it will work though.....
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peason
Great Story, looking back on it but I 'm sure it was frustrating when it was going on. We bought a 84 Nautique 2001, when my wife was pregnant with our first son 12 years ago. I sold it for $2000 more than I bought it 10 years later and now we have a 2002 - 209 with a tower. Of course we have 4 kids now, reason we need a larger boat to take them and any friends that want to go. The 209 id not have a tower originally but we ordered it immediately - best decision we made. All of our kids enjoy knee boarding, wake boarding and skiing, even a little bit of footin on the boom.
It was as fustrating as it gets. Anyway, that sounds like you got great value back on your boat as well.
I should have added to my previous story that we put on 500 hours for a total of almost 900hrs before selling it. We bought it with 375hours, which everyone told us not to buy because the hours were to high. She ran beautiful after the frog incident and we ran her hard. We couldn't believe we got the same money back. We sold her specifically because of the family and the flexabilty of the new boat. Great decision--Love the new boat. Just trying to figure a way to lift the canopy on the boat lift during the day and lower it at night. Tower makes the boat lift a challage and as we found out last year lowering the tower every time is not in the cards. Working on a conopy/roof lift so we can pull in during the day with the tower up and fold down the tower onces at night. The simple challanges we must face to protect our loved ones.
My kids snow skied all season. At 4&5 years old they skied 22 times this season and are all geared up to start Waterskiing. Can't wait for the ice to break.

Last edited by mtrask; 04-01-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakes Rick
If that fuel pump would fit a 94 TBI, I would take it.. I do not think it will work though.....
I can get the model # of the pump and see if we can cross reference. It is I believe a model I have seen on other boats.
Thanks for the interest..
Old 04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrask
I can get the model # of the pump and see if we can cross reference. It is I believe a model I have seen on other boats.
Thanks for the interest..
Works for me.. My fuel pump is like the SkiDim model 0428 in there Catalog....
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakes Rick
Works for me.. My fuel pump is like the SkiDim model 0428 in there Catalog....

Thanks, I will look into it. The pump is still in the package. Just need to cross the numbers for you. It would be great if it worked out.