Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Skiufool

Flushing out Salt Water on '84 Stars N Stripes

What's the procedure for flushing out the engine properly after running it in saltwater? It has a Pleasurecraft 351 inboard engine.

Last edited by Skiufool; 08-09-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
I would think that you would need to remove the raw water intake hose from the hull fitting, put a garden hose in that raw water intake hose and turn on the fresh water supply, then fire up the engine and let it run for 10-15 minutes. Then wash the entire boat, running gear, shaft, strut, rudder, trailer (especially the breaks). I've also heard that some use a product to neturalize the effects of salt, but I don't recall what it is called....may be "salt-be-gone" I'm sure there are other ways of accomplishing this as well.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
What I do is have my little brother climb under the boat with a homemade flushing system and i run the boat for about 10 minutes. The flushing system was made by taking the handle off of our plunger and drilling out a hole where the bottome of the handle sat. Then i jam the end of the hose into the spot for the handle. Here's where the little brother comes in, I send him under the boat to put the plunger over the intake strainer and i turn on the hose. I then start the boat and have him stay under there while it runs for the next 10 minutes. They also make devices that would replace the plunger and little brother and sell them at boaters world or west marine for about $50. I just cant justify the $50 when i got this one for free
Old 08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
I like the idea of the little brother. We need to see a picture of that one.
I was going to try to "T" a shutoff valve into the raw water pick up so that I could easily hook up a hose to flush/run the boat at the house when working on it etc. I haven't seen anyone post that they've done this so it might not be a great idea, we'll wait and see
Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Tall Andy,

Try searching for Flush Pro, I know I've seen a "how to" on this site or may be at MBO. Seems like a relatively easy install.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
If you don't have a little brother you can try a fake a lake

http://clickit.go2net.com/search?pos...ine_flush.html
Old 08-10-2004, 01:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
I have notified the authorities of the "little brother abuse" going on here.... I bet you let him sit in the drivers seat and push the buttons while he makes vroom sounds after the dirty deed....

As to the salt water I know some fishing guys who take their boats in the ocean.. When they pull out they stop at a fresh water lake and dunk the trailer and run the boat around for 20 minutes... Seems like you get the whole shebang at once........
Old 08-10-2004, 07:11 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
You really do that to your little bro? Man, that's just mean...
Old 08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
On my Ski Brendella I use a fake a lake and it has always worked out great. On my new 98 PS 205 the trailer bunks are in the way, I can use the fake a lake but itís hard to get a good fit on the bottom of the boat. To solve this problem I just ordered a Flush Pro from Discount Inboard Marine $49.99. My ski partner has on his Malibu and it works great, just open the engine cover hook up your water hose and fire her up. when you are flushing you can see the water flowing through the clear plastic so you know you are getting good flow. After I run mine for about 10 min. I disconnect the water and pump the throttle 2 times and shut it off, this blowes out most of the excess water.

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
My father-in-law has a 98 PS 205 and the intake is close to, but not blocked by the bunks. I've been working on another type of device that would not require a person to get under the boat, but haven't had time to perfect it yet. I'll probably posts pictures here one of these days after I have a chance to test it out.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.