Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Question Retrofitted Bimini Help

I recently completed retrofitting the old bimini that came with my "99 Prostar 205 that had been mounted on each side of the windshield. I cut it down using the method described by Ramhouse in this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...g+bimini+tower
I think it turned out pretty well, but I have not tested it out on the water at boating speeds yet. My questions have to do with the bimini straps and their attachment locations. Since I never used the bimini with it's existing attachment points and I tore it all apart about a year ago, I am not quite sure how to tie it down. At the leading edge there are cutouts in the canvas that look like attachment points, but I am not sure I like the straps obstructing my view. Should these be moved to the outside of the frame? And if so, how do you attach the strap to the frame so it doesn't slide? The rear strap attachment point on the boat is almost directly under the rear bow of the bimini frame so I attached it to the rear passenger handle. I don't care for this attachment either since it extends so far back on the sides of the boat. Lastly, how do you attach the folded bimini to the tower? I just used a couple pieces of webbing. Any better ideas???
Here are some pics of what I have so far.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Front View
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
MC Devotee

Rear View of Bimini
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
MC Devotee

Bimin Folded view
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
If it were me, I'd move those straps that you have on the front side of the bimini to the sides...put a screw through the webbing and into the tube and you should be good to go. You can probably use the same fastening point on the boat so you don't have to drill any more holes. I really like how your bimini looks!

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen
If it were me, I'd move those straps that you have on the front side of the bimini to the sides...put a screw through the webbing and into the tube and you should be good to go. You can probably use the same fastening point on the boat so you don't have to drill any more holes. I really like how your bimini looks!
Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will attach the straps with screws on the front and rear and it should tidy things up a bit. I had thought of this before, however, the previous mounting on this bimini did not have the straps attached anywhere. They were just looped over the support pole.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
On one of my previous boats it had attachment brackets on the tower leg. The strap had a loop at one end and it attached to the bimini frame by looping it around the frame and then putting the end of the strap thru the loop then cliped to the bracket attached to the tower leg. Kinda confusing but you'll get the idea in the pic below.

Only downside was the bracket was mounted to the tower leg w/screws which meant there were holes drilled into it, but they were small sheet metal screws.

On the plus side the straps held the bimini well and weren't blocking your view forward.

On the aft end of the bimini we had telescoping rods that went from the bimini frame to attachment points on the rear legs of the tower.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Only thing I can say is tighten that canvas up as much as you can. The way it is now, that thing is going to balloon and flap like no other!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
MC Devotee

Question Bimini Cover

Thanks for your help on this dpolen and sodar. I am going to go to work on those straps and see if I can get it tightened up and attached in the right positions. One other question. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase just the bimini cover itself with the Mastercraft logo on it? That is of course providing that the length of it is correct.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars
Thanks for your help on this dpolen and sodar. I am going to go to work on those straps and see if I can get it tightened up and attached in the right positions. One other question. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase just the bimini cover itself with the Mastercraft logo on it? That is of course providing that the length of it is correct.
You can get a cover, but would I would do is just get a custom boot made and have it screened or embroidered "MasterCraft".

It looks like you could order this and just have it modified to fit your current set up. I think a boot for a larger MC would have plenty of fabric to modify, so I chose a Maristar 230 boot.