Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 ProStar 190/454HO
Wow that makes it look easy - i have no idea how she keeps her feet in front of her waist through the start ,however - perhaps she is using her upper body strength to hold her legs and butt above the water through the acceleration -

we actually tried that a few times early on - none of us were able to hold the position long enough - - - too much drag from the water

RE: wakeboard/kneeboard - yes I absolutely think I could do that... I am stubborn, though ,and I'd rather just be able to do a clean start without a board/etc. I can say for certain that I'm going to spend this offseason doing pull-ups and sit-ups to build some muscle. My abdomen muscles STILL hurt just below my ribs - and it's been a WEEK since we did those attempts.

I know the audio on these aren't great - part of what we were doing to help me finish the tumble up was to let off the throttle for just 0.5 sec as I was tumbling up - this would naturally swing me the last 20% forward. However.... it also had a tendency to set me in a forward rolling motion, which I need to learn to counteract (probably by keeping my head and shoulders back).

I'll give it some more attempts this thursday. My coil has been overheating for some reason, i'm still trying to track down the last electrical gremlin in this boat.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by areamike View Post
Geezus! That was brutal. How friggin' fast were you going? Looked too fast for starters.
Probably about 42.

Quote:
Video 3: When you try with your feet on the boom cords, that was your best idea. Your problem was you pushed your butt down which is why you spun out and were back into tumble up position.
Next time, try on the boom cords again. but get the boom up higher. When the boat starts arch your back and put your head way back, like you trying put the back of your head on the bottom of the lake.
Yes - his cords were plastic coated and slippery too. I have steel cables, no coating on my rig. Will try this.
Quote:
Video 5: You almost had the tumble up, but you tried to stand up way too soon. Once you make it around, wait for about 5-10 seconds until your have your bearings. Then get your knees up close to your chest, feet about shoulder length apart and slowly place them in the water. DO NOT PLANT them in the water. Also, USE THAT BOOM! When I say use that boom I mean use it like you're doing a pull up. It's your friend.
See my above comment about changing speeds to help me finish the tumble. It made this part a lot harder. I knew what I wanted to do, my body just wasn't cooperating :-)
Quote:
Video 7: "I need to figure out how to stay on my back once I get forward" - Uh yeah, ya think? Your arms are way to out stretched. Bend your arms more. You might even try to get your feet back up on the boom cords once you get around forward.
Guessing I was probably pretty ape-armed by that point, but I'll try to keep it in mind for the next round of punishment. My buddy used the boom cords to steady himself just as you describe above. I don't seem to have that much mental acuity when hurtling along the water at 40 mph on my back.
Quote:
Video 8: Oh boy...here we go. All I can say is HANDLE POSITION, HANDLE POSITION, HANDLE POSITION!!! You are not steering a big rig buddy. Get that handle tucked nicely into your waist!
lol. I am a big rig :-) Apparently i need to learn a thing or two about where to hold my handle. Will that reduce the "bounce" that i felt on my back? I had no problem planeing out like that, but damn, it hurt my back as I bounced along. Of course, that was Attempt #10 or #11.
Quote:
Back to Video 3: NO SHOWS IN THE BOAT!!! This ain't a construction site!
LOL that was my buddy Scott - he works for a paper mill, and came right from work. Normally we have sandals or barefeet, he even bemoaned the fact he forgot his footwear.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconover View Post
Probably about 42.
lol. I am a big rig :-) Apparently i need to learn a thing or two about where to hold my handle. Will that reduce the "bounce" that i felt on my back? I had no problem planeing out like that, but damn, it hurt my back as I bounced along. Of course, that was Attempt #10 or #11.
Yes. Getting that handle tucked into your waist with your arms slightly bent will help center your gravity. Once you plane out, then you can sit up on your rear and wait for the boat to get to speed. Keep that handle tucked into your waist at all times until you are ready to stand.

Watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJhREDhx99E
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
prostar19 posted some pictures from last weekend on another thread, but here are a couple more. The second one is of my new Eagle suit from Barefoot Central to which I added a Team MC logo
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1980 S&S Power Slot 07 X2 MCX
Here are some videos of yesterday evening... The last one i took some pain....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGZvVsxEWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRrcJuOuXII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5_Cxvxz7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sS4lmQB__Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dMcXltzQt0
1980 S&S "Power Slot"
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnGA View Post
Here are some videos of yesterday evening... The last one i took some pain....
GOOD STUFF!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Malibu Echelon and 1985 Stars and Stripes
I can't stop laughing after listening to the guy in the background at the start of the very first video when he says, "this is what I came to see" and starts laughing.

Too funny, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

DJnGA - what boat and engine make that sound? Also, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of camera did you use... I always get tons of wind noise on my BF videos...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1980 S&S Power Slot 07 X2 MCX
The long line videos were on a 190 Sammy Duvall with the corvette motor. The Boom videos, i am not sure what it was. The camera was a cheep Polaroid dvc-00725f Didn't want to buy anything expensive that might go swimming.

i am bruised from head to toe. Not really sore but i look like i have been in a fight with a baseball bat.

Good times
1980 S&S "Power Slot"
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

And you'll be back out this weekend, right?