Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
What, did all the pix disappear on this thread too?????
A grab from video last weekend, 3 dudes and nearly 5 hours of watersports. Now THATs a Saturday morning!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2005, 11:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD
Now that would be something to see!

Hey Brian,

No shots of you footin?? You got to get that camera man/girl on the ball..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell
One of the old man himself trying for the first time. Hopefully before the summer is over, I can get a little more upright without taking a face plant. To old, too fat, and too out of shape to be trying this.
Keep working on it. If you're falling forward, you're not keeping your feet out front. Raise up, from the hips up (to get out of the spray), and keep your feet forward (not under you) by keeping the knees bent. You'll get the balance in a few more tries... I presume you're doing it the man's way?? On a 75' rope??

I posted somewhere here, in depth with details, to assist in stepping off easier...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 07-20-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
........I presume you're doing it the man's way?? On a 75' rope??
I posted somewhere here, in depth with details, to assist in stepping off easier...
Here's a few pointers that may help. Everyone has their own methodology buy I have found this to be simple and effective for learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
Well while I'm not Scarpa, I have been footing a long time. The way I try to teach folks is with a simple but effective visual and demo instruction. First, I don't put my front foot in the binder when getting up. I simply set it on top of the binder, heel placed against the heel-piece. It will stay from the tug of the boat. Since I drag a foot anyway to get up, my rear foot is ready to set down when I so choose (looking for rollers )Once I'm up, I like to get a solid 37 - 38 MPH (me at 210 pounds). That works just fine. Too fast and you're skipping on the water. Find a good speed to plant your foot and not have it skipping at 41 - 42 MPH. I get just outside of the wake and set the rear foot down on the water getting ready to step off with the front foot. Here's the trick (and try it yourself tonight at home to see what I'm talking about); Bend the front foot knee (that is still on top of the binder). Bend it extra and while the rear foot is about to plant or possibly may already be on the water). Bending the knee of the front foot will extend the rear foot / leg out forward in front of you. Prior to bending the extra effort, the plant foot is more-or-less "under" you and not in front of you. Bend the front foot knee and you'll see the rear foot go forward, (in lieu of trying to hyperextend the rear leg and only throw you off balance and accomplish nothing). Once you're almost squatting (not literally but in a sense of figure) then plant the rear foot, throw your shoulders back (a slight tug on the rope) and lift (not step) the front foot and set it forward onto the water beside the other foot. At this point the ski is gone. Do all of this in one smooth motion and you'll be good to go. Done deal.

Now what you'll find is that you're probably drowning.. LOL... If so, you know your feet are where they are supposed to be. Leave them there (out in front of you so to speak) and raise your head, shoulders and your upper body upward to breath. This is actually allowing you to develope your balance as you stay up and get out of the spray. It won't be two or three more tries before you're stepping off, standing up out of the spray and enjoying the ride.... Trick is to bend the front foot knee but the "purpose" of this is to get the rear foot out front (and not under) before you plant.

If you're falling forward, the feet are not out front enough. If you're falling backwards, they are too far out.

For those that may want to try footing, that's the ticket. You may be rushing it a bit but honestly the smooth motion I described in stepping off is supposed to be a rush!! Just make it smooth and one continuous motion instead of several part motions to get on the water. I think by keeping the front foot on top of the binder it is much much less distracting and less maneauvers compared to getting the foot back out from the binder, out of the heel piece, and then forward to set the foot down. Barefooting is probably one of the easier things to learn in my opinion. I like to wear short pants (jump pants) so I can slide out on my rear when I'm done footing.

Just practice a mental process and you'll learn quickly on the water...

For the lighter guys and gals 34, 35, or 36 MPH is plenty. However I do like a hot speed to foot on one foot.... I do all of this on a long line. Booms are not my thing. Long line footing.... Nothing like it....It's the real thAng
Good luck and be patient. It's easy to get the hang of it...
Also I have posted a collage of a beach start by your's truely.
Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by phecksel
Here's the next shot

http://www.bellevillelakewaterski.co...1-1131_IMG.jpg
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
as i said-back handsprings! my neck hurts just watching!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Sporty, Those are perfect instructions. That's exactly how it was described to me 20 years ago (did I just type that) and it worked perfectly the first time. Those you can use to actually visualize and have a feeling of what it's like before you do it. Good job.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Finally got some good boom runs in with Rockman on Tuesday night! I`ll bring the camera next time.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
I have no idea how / why i missed this step off but it did make for some awasome video footage...i must be getting cocky or something
Attached Images

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Youch!!!! That one musta stung!!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)