Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Deep water start issues with dry suit

Here's probably an old question or maybe not? I'm 60 now and have had some sporadic deep water start issues that pretty much went away during the season. Got into my dry suit this past weekend and back to issues again. I know there is more drag with it on and I tend to have the tip of my ski dive at times from not staying in a ball with my ski to my chest, so I basically can't hang on anymore. Not as flexible as I once was I suppose.

I usually have the life jacket on the outside of my suit, but noticed that some of my friends wear theirs under the dry suit. Haven't tried it yet, but likely will soon. Just wanted to hear how folks here run with dry suits? Late in the season here in the Midwest, and just about done, but don't want that frustration to be my last memories of 2017.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 10-02-2017, 04:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
vest inside, knees touching I'm 62 double boot start, I start and try to keel elbows at 90 degrees I know many start straight arms... doesn't work for me
Old 10-02-2017, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
This may sound silly, but I tuck my chin down to my chest.

It helps get up with less effort. Less water in your face and less water up your shorts (too late for you I know).
Old 10-02-2017, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
a nice wide ski helps too. my new HO A3 compared to my old HO 9.8 VTX, night and day easier on the newer, wider ski.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
a nice wide ski helps too. my new HO A3 compared to my old HO 9.8 VTX, night and day easier on the newer, wider ski.
I'm also on an HO Syndicate A3 and love that ski. Thanks for the replies so far guys. Going out tonight and will keep these in mind.

I'm on a RTP binding with back foot out until I get up. Pretty sure the head tucked idea will help me too as I did notice that difference was better when I tried some things last weekend. Head forward was a much better start in that cold water on Sunday.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
i think the fact that your new ski weighs 120# less has alot to do with it
Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Its always the same issue - people get drag and then they get crunched under load, which causes the shoulders to come forwards which causes the ski to bury and causes more drag.

You have but one goal which is to be on-top of the water. So I'm very reluctant to recommend techniques which put more of the body into the water, I prefer people project themselves shallow. As such I talk to people about the importance of rear foot to butt - and using their hip/pelvic muscles to get up instead of their arms/back/shoulders.

Properly executed with the rear foot by butt you stare the spotter in the eye, say hit it, as the rope pulls you simply keep your arms and back straight and attempt to "push" your butt to the handle.

If that sounds weird I can try to illustrate better - but the idea is that you will instantly have no water between your chest and the boat and then you just ride the ski up, so easy you can do it one handed.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Its always the same issue - people get drag and then they get crunched under load, which causes the shoulders to come forwards which causes the ski to bury and causes more drag.

You have but one goal which is to be on-top of the water. So I'm very reluctant to recommend techniques which put more of the body into the water, I prefer people project themselves shallow. As such I talk to people about the importance of rear foot to butt - and using their hip/pelvic muscles to get up instead of their arms/back/shoulders.

Properly executed with the rear foot by butt you stare the spotter in the eye, say hit it, as the rope pulls you simply keep your arms and back straight and attempt to "push" your butt to the handle.

If that sounds weird I can try to illustrate better - but the idea is that you will instantly have no water between your chest and the boat and then you just ride the ski up, so easy you can do it one handed.
ha, you couldn't be more on point with this explanation. This is exactly the advice I used to learn how to get up on one ski two years ago....

in fact, it may have been you that gave me this advice
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
+2 to on the rear foot push plus elbows around knees - water not that cold yet - was 74 on illinois river yesterday - not that much colder in northern ill
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
+2 to on the rear foot push plus elbows around knees - water not that cold yet - was 74 on illinois river yesterday - not that much colder in northern ill
water was 64 for me Sunday