Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
UH OH low oil light came on

Well I could be done for the summer.. Just got back from the lake with very low oil in my V-drive.. The leak must of gotten worse.. Now I NEED to pull my V-drive unit for a reseal...

ANYONE see my thread about removing my V-drive?? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM
MC Master Poster

I don't remember the year/model of your boat. Look into the V-drive and check the oil. If it doesn't smell too bad, you may be OK. Check the shaft seal for black paint on the rubber part. There was a tech brief for this and they recommended scraping the paint off gently. It doesn't stick very well and comes off easily, but it keeps the seal from being elastic enough to stay in contact with the shaft. I saw that there is also a new double lipped seal as the replacement.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:30 PM
MC Devotee

Jim, my boat is a 94 Maristar... I remember you saying this was on much newer boats, the painted seal problem..

Any thoughts on my tranny/v drive removal ?? Thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 11:22 PM
MC Master Poster

I've never removed a V drive, but I have found that a little extra disassembly to make more room goes a long way. Aside from that, this will be a lot easier if you have access to a chain hoist. A motor hoist, unless it's for a big truck, will just be too small for this job and trying to put it in the boat is not something I would want to do. However, if you can get a big one and it's just a bit too low, you can deflate the tires and drop it 5" - 6". See if a rental center has the kinds of hoists for this job.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
MC Devotee

Appreciate the help Jim...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Sorry for the nostalgia, but couldn't help bumping this. Boy does this place miss Lakes Rick!