Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
pjdiprete

87 Prostar 190 Creeps in Neutral

Folks:

I searched and found some discussion on the topic, but no resolution.

My '87 is creeping in Neutral. I'm getting nervous about eating ropes or catching folks toes and chopping them to little bits. It's dangerous near a dock or another boat or absentmindedly "idling" with anything in the water. I need to fix this.

Looks like transmissions creep when they get old. True? If so, I may be due. Motor & Tranney have 850 hours on them (kinda light, no?).

I had the mechanic r/r transmission fluid, and it seemed to make the creeping worse. Manual calls for DOT 2, which is hard to find. Is it worth re-doing the mechanic's r/r of fluid with real true blue DOT 2 (if I can find it)? Or should I just pull the transmission and have it rebuilt?

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers!
peter
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Not just old transmissions creep. My brand new transmission in my '88 creeps a bit as well. A couple of things to check before you go rebuilding or replacing.

1. Is the fluid level correct. If it is high this might be part of the problem. 2. How are your stut bushings? If they are worn they will not be applying much friction to the shaft thus allowing it to spin a bit. I just replaced my strut bushings and the creep almost went away entirely. Get underneeth the boat and try to give the shaft a wiggle. If you have any play at all or if the prop turns easily by hand your bushing need to be replaced.

These transmissions call for Dexron II which is nearly impossible to find now. Dexron III is the new formula that replaced it and from what I have been told from multiple sources they are interchangable.

Good luck

Last edited by BrianM; 03-28-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:37 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Dexron III is currently recommended for the 1:1 Velvet Drives. Mine turns a little bit in neutral, but I've not lost a rope or a toe to date. Doesn't seem to push the boat much. Usually stops once things get warmed up.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:28 PM
pjdiprete

some things I've noticed about the tranney

I have indeed checked the fluid level reducing the level to the point that it would "jump out of gear" then adding some back in. Sad point was that even when the fluid level was low enough that it would jump out of gear, it would still creep.

There is plenty of resistance on the prop shaft... it might even be a little on the tight side.

And there is plenty of force turning this. The boat is *moving* forward in neutral.

Again, anyone with an idea, holler. I don't want to have to rebuild. Sign.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Not just old transmissions creep. My brand new transmission in my '88 creeps a bit as well. A couple of things to check before you go rebuilding or replacing.

1. Is the fluid level correct. If it is high this might be part of the problem. 2. How are your stut bushings? If they are worn they will not be applying much friction to the shaft thus allowing it to spin a bit. I just replaced my strut bushings and the creep almost went away entirely. Get underneeth the boat and try to give the shaft a wiggle. If you have any play at all or if the prop turns easily by hand your bushing need to be replaced.

These transmissions call for Dexron II which is nearly impossible to find now. Dexron III is the new formula that replaced it and from what I have been told from multiple sources they are interchangable.

Good luck
That's interesting, because I remember somebody saying that you should have no resistance on the prop. The thread I am referring to blamed the friction on misalignment, and said that by aligning the shaft properly there would be no friction when trying to turn it. I thought that was an interesting post the first time, and now with a contradiciton to it I find it more interesting, no idea what's right, just making an observation.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
look in thread " Can't get in nuetral "
Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Leroy

This thread has some input, "spin in neutral". I'm not sure if it applies to these transmissions. Who would have guessed a Marine transmission forum

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/main.cfm?CFApp=14&
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Team 197, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdiprete
Folks:

I searched and found some discussion on the topic, but no resolution.

My '87 is creeping in Neutral. I'm getting nervous about eating ropes or catching folks toes and chopping them to little bits. It's dangerous near a dock or another boat or absentmindedly "idling" with anything in the water. I need to fix this.

Looks like transmissions creep when they get old. True? If so, I may be due. Motor & Tranney have 850 hours on them (kinda light, no?).

I had the mechanic r/r transmission fluid, and it seemed to make the creeping worse. Manual calls for DOT 2, which is hard to find. Is it worth re-doing the mechanic's r/r of fluid with real true blue DOT 2 (if I can find it)? Or should I just pull the transmission and have it rebuilt?

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers!
peter
I had a similar problem with a '87 Borg-Warner "Velvet Drive" 1:1 tranny in my boat. The problem was caused by an oil transfer collar in the tranny that shifted out of position and was leaking pressure from the trans oil pump back to the cluth pack when the trans was in neutral. I know it sounds complicated, but I called the techies at Borg-Warner and they were very helpful in getting me the parts and service information and I was able to do the repair myself. ( I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, though.) Maybe your problem is much simpler, but information is never a bad thing, right?