Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, prostar 205, 1993
new prop install

I recently bought a new prop on the install directions it says to have 60% contact. My mastercraft manual says 70% contact, it also says to use a compound called persain blue and a grinding compound. So my question is where can I find these compounds? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 mastercraft x-star 330hp
for years iv been switching my prop on my boat and all i do is get the old one off,put the new one on and get the nut somewhat tight than throw the cotter pin in...hasn't failed me yet
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
This thread may give you some information about Prussian Blue. Prussian Blue also known as Engineers Blue and Valve/Grinding Compound can be found at most auto parts stores and where machinists/metalworkers get their supplies. Here is a more in depth explanation of it's use, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_blue and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_blue .

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 01-21-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
SoCal... all they are trying to do with the substance recommended is keep the dissimilar metals away from one another (stainless & nibral/bronze). A few years ago, when I worked for a local High-Performance boat shop, the head mechanic recommended this. It is a teflon based waterproof grease. The stuff is TOUGH and not cheap, but a little goes a very long way. Anyways, after seeing the conditions that this grease held up in, I am sure it will provide the same benefit as those you listed, but be a little easier to find!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodarSki73
SoCal... all they are trying to do with the substance recommended is keep the dissimilar metals away from one another (stainless & nibral/bronze). A few years ago, when I worked for a local High-Performance boat shop, the head mechanic recommended this. It is a teflon based waterproof grease. The stuff is TOUGH and not cheap, but a little goes a very long way. Anyways, after seeing the conditions that this grease held up in, I am sure it will provide the same benefit as those you listed, but be a little easier to find!
I always apply some Lubrimatic Marine Corrosion Control and Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease to the shaft, key slot, key and inside the prop hub before I install the prop. You would be surprised how much of it is still there when the prop is removed, even though it took a prop puller to get the prop off.

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 01-22-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Here is a simple way to check the contact between your prop and shaft.

WITHOUT the new key installed in the keyway, slide the prop onto the shaft until it stops. Now mark around the shaft, with a Sharpie, to indicate how far up taper the prop fits.

Install you new key into the keyway and install the prop and nut as per directions. Now, in it's final resting position the prop should at least come back to your indicator mark, or it may just start to cover the mark. This is good, you don't have to worry about the key shifting causing an interference between the fit. Which is what we are most concerned about. The 60% contact sounds more like a racing/High perfromance concern to me. I would bet if you checked it with Prusian blue it would be fine anyway...
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
MC Hero

It has to do more with the mating of the shaft and prop hub surfaces, than how far the prop goes up on the shaft. I would think, that since it is in the owners manual there is a reason for it to be there, just like the instructions for changing the engine/transmission oil and related filters, greasing the steering fittings, shaft alignment, among other maintenance items to be addressed during ownership, but.....................

Maybe Eric from OJ will give us some advise on this subject.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 01-21-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal205
I recently bought a new prop on the install directions it says to have 60% contact. My mastercraft manual says 70% contact, it also says to use a compound called persain blue and a grinding compound. So my question is where can I find these compounds? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.

I just asked this same question 2 days ago and these great folks at TT squared me away, looks like you got the same treatment Thanks again on this post.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
...I would think, that since it is in the owners manual there is a reason for it to be there....
I tend to take Mike's stance. Seems like alot of the stuff in the manuals has more to do with CYA, than actual necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMC
Throw the manual away...no reason to hold on to a book of suggestions...wonder why they waste the paper on printing those things anyway?
http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpo...75&postcount=6
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodarSki73
This is a mecury product and the stuff works great on all kinds of applications.