Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 03 X9
Bent shaft

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he informs that my shaft is out of tollerence by .0020 (twenty thousanths). He recommends replacing it because it may lead to bigger problems down the line. Its going to cost me close to $600 for parts and labor. This is on top of the $600 for the 100 hr service. Its turning out to be one expensive service trip...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 209
First off, 0.0020 is 20 TEN thousandths. You probably meant 0.020. Your fingernail is about that thick. Did it have a vibration? What was the dimension they are referring to? A total indicated runout (TIR)? What tolerance do they say is allowed?

$600 to replace a shaft? Jim?

These are the questions I'd be asking...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXBill
First off, 0.0020 is 20 TEN thousandths. You probably meant 0.020. Your fingernail is about that thick. Did it have a vibration? What was the dimension they are referring to? A total indicated runout (TIR)? What tolerance do they say is allowed?

$600 to replace a shaft? Jim?

These are the questions I'd be asking...
Yes, I'd be questioning this too. .002" is two thousanths of an inch
if it is .002 out of tolerance, what is tolerance? .005" TIR? more? / Less?
Ask what Bill asked... What is the TIR and how did you check it?

Send the shaft to me and I will check it for runout and tell you what it is and most likely can make you a new one for less than OEM.
Now, the problem will be that if I make it, you have to install it or pay the dealer to install it and you obviously already owe him for taking it off or for at least diagnosing the problem?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
TT Regular

Ric and NSX, thank you for your reply. The guy told me it was twenty thousanths (sorry about the decimal error) out of tollerance and that Mastercraft's maximum tollerance is three thousanths. I just don't want to get hosed here. The dealer has always been great and I would hope they wouldn't be shafting me (no pun intended). The thing is, I have never noticed any type of vibration. Thats why I quesiton it. And, if it is out of tollerence, I don't want it to lead to bigger problems down the line.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Get it straightened at a machine shop >$100.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 19 skier, 302 4bbl
I have a question about shaft tolerances. I know shafts shouldn't be bent, but maybe someone can tell me why there is a .005" runout tolerance on a shaft that is going to flex far more than that when accelerating. Same goes for coupling alignment. I know it has to be good, but good at what motor position? still or at speed. The motor torques, and it's mounted in rubber. Isn't it gonna move? Also, the shaft log is made for movement.

Like I said, just a question. Maybe a dumb one though.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hey Brian, what's the name of that shop in SC that you used. They couldn't straighten my father-in-law's last summer, but its bend couldn't be measured in thousandths.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 ProStar 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG
Mastercraft's maximum tollerance is three thousanths.
.003 TIR for a boat propeller shaft is max? I'm curious if we are really talking TIR here and how they measured it. I guarantee they didn't take it off the boat. I wouldn't even think MC has a figure for this. They do specify (and hopefully check for $600 100 hr service) the side-to-side gap difference between the shaft flange and the transmission flange (when disconnected), but this would show an engine alignment prob, not bent shaft....

ICBW
Old 03-21-2005, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

I want to thank everyone for their information. I went ahead and gave them the okay to replace the shaft. I'll go ahead and eat it this time (due to the fact that the boat is already in for the 100hr service), but next time I know I'll be able to take it and have it straightened for a lot less. BTW, there was no damage to the prop. Makes me kinda wonder how the shaft originally bent.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG
BTW, there was no damage to the prop. Makes me kinda wonder how the shaft originally bent.
Since this is the case, I think I'd ask for the old part & verify that it's bent.