Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-28-2007, 01:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 96 Mastercraft Prostar 205
HELP Please!!!!

I have a 96 Mastercraft prostar 205 that I had winterized back about 2 months ago. I took it to the place that always winterizes it so I didnt go back and check anything. They had never done anything before that would make me think I should. That was my mistake. I went out to check on it and I found about 1 inch of standing water in the entire boat. Come to find out they didnt remove the plug. There is a small hole in the cover so I guess thats how all the rain got in. What do I do now?? Is my boat ruined. I tried to start it but the battery was to drained. It did try to start so I'm charging the battery now. Please help because I have no idea what I should do!!! Thanks, David
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1976 Stars and Stripes - also Beachcraft, Bowrider, 1983, V6 I/O
Do you mean an inch above the decks, or just an inch in the bilge? I get an inch in the bilge when my rather large brother-in-law gets back into the boat.

If the water is high enough to drench the starter, I would sure have it looked at before trying it out.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguille
I have a 96 Mastercraft prostar 205 that I had winterized back about 2 months ago. I took it to the place that always winterizes it so I didnt go back and check anything. They had never done anything before that would make me think I should. That was my mistake. I went out to check on it and I found about 1 inch of standing water in the entire boat. Come to find out they didnt remove the plug. There is a small hole in the cover so I guess thats how all the rain got in. What do I do now?? Is my boat ruined. I tried to start it but the battery was to drained. It did try to start so I'm charging the battery now. Please help because I have no idea what I should do!!! Thanks, David
Need a little better expanation. If the boat was full of water an inch above the floorboards, you might want to check a few things. The boat structure should be OK, unless the standing water froze into a big is block (you are from the south, so I suspect this is not a problem). Before starting anything, I would check to see if any water got into the oil and transmission and change the fluids if it did. Take the starter off and get it tested... if it was submerged a while, it could have some rust/corrosion (not the end of the world). I would also do a visual inspection of all the wiring and look for any corrision. If everything checks out, than just give the boat a good, solid cleaning and let 'er rip!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
This is a tough one! Ummmmmmmmm, first, always remove the plug unless it's kept indoors, duct tape, cheap blue tarp, new cover before it starts raining?
Attachment 30295

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 04-04-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodarSki73
Need a little better expanation. If the boat was full of water an inch above the floorboards, you might want to check a few things. The boat structure should be OK, unless the standing water froze into a big is block (you are from the south, so I suspect this is not a problem). Before starting anything, I would check to see if any water got into the oil and transmission and change the fluids if it did. Take the starter off and get it tested... if it was submerged a while, it could have some rust/corrosion (not the end of the world). I would also do a visual inspection of all the wiring and look for any corrision. If everything checks out, than just give the boat a good, solid cleaning and let 'er rip!
My thoughts exactly.... Good luck with it..
Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
I'd agree...If youhad standing water an inch above the floor board, your starter is likely toast! Not the biggest deal to replace nor is it that expensive (relatively speaking) If you have the 275hp engine, your alternator is low and was possibly submerged rendering likely ruined as well. Don't panic.....one step at a time as the previous posters have said.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Leroy

Sorry to hear about your problem, I would talk with the place that winterized it first before doing anything. If it ends up requiring any work they may take care of it for you and claim it on their insurance or eat the expense.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
I'm either missing an obvious point or making one, but make sure you have a flush kit rigged up to give 'er cooling water before you go and start it. Which will mean you have to thereafter keep her warm or drain again yourself to avoid freezing (unless you're so far South it's not an issue).... Now, a brief pause while waiting for more mechanically inclined members to comment.....
Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 197, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Sorry to hear about your problem, I would talk with the place that winterized it first before doing anything. If it ends up requiring any work they may take care of it for you and claim it on their insurance or eat the expense.
Yeah, if I had paid someone to carry out winterization, and this incident resulted, I would certainly want to discuss compensation.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I would think that it wouldn't be their responsibility to leave the plug out. In fact I would think if they had it out to change the oil (oil drain hose) that they would put it back in so it didn't get lost. Plus, when I store my boat I always leave the plug in. One less place for mice to get in! Like the other guys said, more explanation is needed on the condition of you boat.