Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
gel coat cracks

put the boat into the MC main dealers in nov for gel coat repairs to a "spiders web" craze crack...this was on a 5 month old boat....the dealer thought it may be a stress crack,but this proved untrue when it cracked again on the trailer..the white also was not a true match.....they repaired it again..and it cracked again......they then sent off for a new batch of gelcoat,which would be the correct white...it was sent over in a container with a boat......this ended up in switzerland.....they could not post the gelcoat to england as there is some restrictions on posting chemicals !!! the gel-coat will not be here for another 2 weeks they said.......this was begining to annoy me...

the dealers,to be fair are lovely guys and i find it hard to be horrible with them.....

my season starts properly today(kids,wife etc)..so they have "patched it up" so i can get on the water over easter....they will repair it hopefully after easter......

i asked if they normally do a shared ownership with boats....they looked perplexed.....i explained that they had had my boat for 5mnths and so had i.....

wonder if i'll get half my money back......

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
This is not the first time this has come up. I seem to remember at least one person getting a new hull as a result.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 MariStar, Predator Engine
To me this is a difficult situation made more so only because you liven in England. I hope this gets corrected for you.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler
put the boat into the MC main dealers in nov for gel coat repairs to a "spiders web" craze crack...this was on a 5 month old boat....the dealer thought it may be a stress crack,but this proved untrue when it cracked again on the trailer..the white also was not a true match.....they repaired it again..and it cracked again......they then sent off for a new batch of gelcoat,which would be the correct white...it was sent over in a container with a boat......this ended up in switzerland.....they could not post the gelcoat to england as there is some restrictions on posting chemicals !!! the gel-coat will not be here for another 2 weeks they said.......this was begining to annoy me...

the dealers,to be fair are lovely guys and i find it hard to be horrible with them.....

my season starts properly today(kids,wife etc)..so they have "patched it up" so i can get on the water over easter....they will repair it hopefully after easter......

i asked if they normally do a shared ownership with boats....they looked perplexed.....i explained that they had had my boat for 5mnths and so had i.....

wonder if i'll get half my money back......
It sounds like there will be NO simple fix for your situation.
I too know the feeling of "shared ownership", at least you will be skiing this weekend! Let us know the solution.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Been there, done that

This happened to me on my 2002- 209. I had cracks through out the hull and my dealer told me to bring it in over the winter to get repaired. they sent it out to a local repair shop. I picked it up last spring and the colors did not match - my hull is black and everywhere it was repaired you could see a patch spot that did not match. So this past winter my dealer sent it off to the factory to have a new hull put on, from the rub rail down. I tried to talk them into getting me a new boat, but it didn't work. I think it's great that MC is owning up to the problem, but it has to be cheaper to give me a new boat and sell this one "as is". My whole family,including me loves the boat - I just hope it comes back looking like a new boat and that I don't have any more problems. We'll see in a couple of months.