Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
wsrobert wsrobert is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: .
Location: .
Posts: 115
Dessicant

Has anyone used any kind of drying dessicant to keep moisture out of the engine compartment when the boat is stored for winter. I have a full cover, but I'm concerned about condensation on the engine. I live in south Louisiana and we don't have very cold winters, but the humidity is always high. Just looking for anyone's thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
cbryan70's Avatar
cbryan70 cbryan70 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Location: midwest
Posts: 3,571
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
i use a bucket full of charcoal
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
wsrobert wsrobert is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: .
Location: .
Posts: 115
You mean like Kingsford or Matchlight??? Does that really work???
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
cbryan70's Avatar
cbryan70 cbryan70 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Location: midwest
Posts: 3,571
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
thats what i use seems to work fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons.

__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Bruce Bruce is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Location: Lacombe, La.
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons.

Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.
__________________
"IT IS WHAT IT IS'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.
If one doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.
Yeh, I have the same boat. The humidity isn't as high here, especially in the winter, but mold is still a problem during storage.
If one of those dryer things doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall - removing moisture as opposed to preventing it from condensing.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Leroy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Bruce Bruce is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Location: Lacombe, La.
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "
Like Mac said it is about the same as a light bulb. Not real hot you could put your hand on the metal case. I haven't had a problem with heat but I think I will get a second one. Need to figure out if there is any difference in the one I have or the one Mac showed.
__________________
"IT IS WHAT IT IS'
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.