Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: .
Dessicant

Has anyone used any kind of drying dessicant to keep moisture out of the engine compartment when the boat is stored for winter. I have a full cover, but I'm concerned about condensation on the engine. I live in south Louisiana and we don't have very cold winters, but the humidity is always high. Just looking for anyone's thoughts.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
i use a bucket full of charcoal
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: .
You mean like Kingsford or Matchlight??? Does that really work???
Old 12-05-2007, 06:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
thats what i use seems to work fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I use a Turbo Dryer thingy. Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. I leave it plugged in all winter - uses about the same amount of electricity as a 100 watt light bulb (they say).

They have them at Overtons.

Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Mac, I have a similar one I got from West Marine does not seem to be doing the job. Of course the humidity here is off the chart at times. I have it in the back on the round black plate over the drain (was not sure about leaving it on the carpet. Of course I could put something under it. Be that as it may it may just not big enough for the boat(230 VRS. which I believe you have)Any thoughts? I had thought about kitty litter(earlier post) but the feeling seem to be that it would not work. The charcoal idea? The boat hangs in the slip under a cover.
If one doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Yeh, I have the same boat. The humidity isn't as high here, especially in the winter, but mold is still a problem during storage.
If one of those dryer things doesn't do the job, I'd add a second one. Not a big believer in dessicants...the concept isn't as appealing to me as something that plugs into the wall - removing moisture as opposed to preventing it from condensing.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Leroy

Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230 VRS 5.7 Indmar Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Just a fan and small heater? How hot does it get? I wonder if it would work since the delta from ambient to this device is probably a lot less in the deep south? Pretty smart solution!

"Circulates air that's just warm enough to keep the inside of the boat above the dew point. "
Like Mac said it is about the same as a light bulb. Not real hot you could put your hand on the metal case. I haven't had a problem with heat but I think I will get a second one. Need to figure out if there is any difference in the one I have or the one Mac showed.