Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
For future reference I would recommend a brass drift or punch if you are going to use the hammer method to extract the pump shaft. Using a softer metal drift will have a lesser chance to damage the shaft when compared to a SS drift.
+1
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
I agree with you guys on not using a brass or similar softer metal drift for shaft extraction. I will do differently in the future. For those without an arbor press, here's the method I used to put the shaft/bearings back in the housing. I used long bolts through the flange on the shaft and then used part of a harmonic balancer puller. I went slowly turning each bolt about a 1/4 turn each and pushed it back together nicely. We'll find out how successful this was when I get her out of storage and fired up.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
I agree with you guys on not using a brass or similar softer metal drift for shaft extraction. I will do differently in the future. For those without an arbor press, here's the method I used to put the shaft/bearings back in the housing. I used long bolts through the flange on the shaft and then used part of a harmonic balancer puller. I went slowly turning each bolt about a 1/4 turn each and pushed it back together nicely. We'll find out how successful this was when I get her out of storage and fired up.
Might be some confusion here. I am suggesting that you DO use a softer metal if you are going to hammer the shaft out.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Might be some confusion here. I am suggesting that you DO use a softer metal if you are going to hammer the shaft out.
That's correct. I agree with you. Need to use brass or something softer than stainless.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
i just ordered a new one yesterday. so today while i wait for it to be shipped i took the old one apart .just wacked shaft, it slid out , didn't mess with pulling bearings. popped the side cover off the accessible bearing. threw some greae back in it .popped the side cover back on bearing.
put the shaft on a piece of wood. put the body on the bearings put a piece of wood over the end and gave it a couple wacks and she slid home .no need for special tools .unless u are pulling the bearings from the shaft. there isn't much to these things .i wouldn't hesitate to ever rebuild one of these , theres nothing to them. no biggie. i most likely will find some bearings for this old one and keep it for a spare. no need to blow a couple hundred dollars. if ya can change a damper plate , or your old manifolds and risers . to rebuild this pump is a piece of cake.

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).