Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Two Throttle Issues

I figured rather than hijack my own thread elsewhere, I'd start a new one here.

Throttle Return Spring Revisited
When the boys at SWCC took the slop out of my throttle cable, they shortened my return spring as well. So I'm back to having to keep my hand on the throttle. My wife hates this because she likes to use her right hand to swat at her hair when it blows in her face. This is not good while I'm skiing.

I kept trying to stretch the spring, but the result would be that my boat would hang at about 1,200 rpm when going from higher rpms to neutral. I picked up a less tense spring yesterday at NAPA and on their advice, put a little lithium grease on the throttle plate where it connects to the carb, which I was mulling doing anyway as it never stuck before, even without any return spring (on a brief test).

Perfect Pass Servo Doesn't always tighten upon Startup after Pumping the Throttle

So at startup, it usually helps to give it a full pump on the throttle before cranking. Ever since I got the new carb, I've noticed that my throttle response has been a little weird when I first startup. Well, I think I got it figured out. When I pump to full throttle, it completely unwinds my perfect pass servo. When I turn the key on, it winds up, but not all the way. I may have had a kink in the line under the knob, which I got out last night. Worst case scenario, I'll just reach back and make sure its wound tight after I give it a pump before startup. Once I'm on the water, this is a non issue. But has anybody else with a carb experienced this. Would it be different if I turned the key on (not started, just on) before I gave the throttle a pump?

Yes, Andre, I know you fuel injected guys don't have such issues.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
I would just buy a new boat !
Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradamerry
I would just buy a new boat !
I can picture Doug in a brand new RED 197....
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
MC Hero

It'd be red, that's for sure. Man, to be honest, I had such a great time skiing behind my boat this past weekend, I'd have to win one of those new boats to replace mine. The pull was great; the wakes were short and soft; and the beers, afterward, were de-licious.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 AM
MC Maniac

Those wakes are probably nice for that toobin' you and the Toolman were doing.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 AM
MC Hero

I thought about calling the toolman, er uh, you to see if you guys wanted to come over for a pull, but we were doing so much work around the place that I didn't want to put you guys to work.

I'm planning a little retreat down there for a week in June. Perhaps a good time for a meet and greet. I've always wanted to see how much smoother that river is on a Wednesday.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Doug call the folks at Perfect Pass. They may have an idea for you. On the old boat I was a two pumper but I didn't have a problem with the servo pulling the cable back in. I wonder if there is some small difference in the linkage from cable to carb that is different between the two carbs you have used?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Doug,

I cant give input about the perfect pass, but maybe this will help some.
I adjusted mine like the CC shop did yours.
It works fine now, and no slop.
I dont have a return spring on mine at all. I dont have to hold the throttle while driveing. I can let it go, and it stays. When I return to neutral, it idles down to 800-900 rpms.
I would say the lithium might do the trick.maybe some carb cleaner first.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
MC Hero

Thanks for the replies. I'll give Ppass a call on the servo question. Rem, on the carb cleaner, are you suggesting I just give it a shot around the plate where it links to the throttle cable. I applied a little grease last night to where it was pivoting and to that little curly-q spring (sorry for the hyper technical terms) that is on the carb site of the plate where it connects to the carb. Where are you suggesting I hit it with the carb cleaner?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I thought about calling the toolman, er uh, you to see if you guys wanted to come over for a pull, but we were doing so much work around the place that I didn't want to put you guys to work.

I'm planning a little retreat down there for a week in June. Perhaps a good time for a meet and greet. I've always wanted to see how much smoother that river is on a Wednesday.
So, you still think I'm the Toolman ?? Not me, but I could see myself testing out that wake on a Wednesday !!