Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:12 AM
skilew skilew is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 93
Advise on Synthetic Oil

I got such good advise from my last post about a carb problem I thought I would ask the experts out there about this issue.

Is anyone using synthetic oil? I have a 1993 Ford 351 engine with the GT-40 heads. What is the recommended weight oil for this engine and is it ok to use synthetic oil?

Also need to know what temp. thermostat to use.

Thanks,
SkiLew
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:21 AM
André's Avatar
André André is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Location: Near Sherbrooke,Québec,Canada
Posts: 4,416
If you do your regular oil change at 50 hrs,no need to go synthetic in my mind.
Not sure about the tstat but i'm lthinking 160.
Oil grade is 15 w 40 marine grade but that's not mandatory.
__________________
Keep skiing!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 AM
rem_pss308's Avatar
rem_pss308 rem_pss308 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Location: Branford, Florida ( North Florida )
Posts: 613
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
I also have the gt-40 351, I use mobile-1, I the weight I use is 50 I cant remember what the lower number is. it is either 5 or 15.
I was running a 140 thermestat, but the guy at SKIDIM.com said that they were geting better results with the 165 thermostat

Since I have installed it, I have not had any problems.

Tex will give some input also, He has the same engine as well.
__________________
"Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless when facing them."

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
ski_king's Avatar
ski_king ski_king is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Location: Western PA
Posts: 5,915
I remember a somewhere back in the 92 to 94 range there was a year that MasterCraft/Indmar/Mobil had a special engine warranty as long as you used Mobil1 oil.
Does anybody else remember this?
If so, how has it worked out?
__________________
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Professor's Avatar
Professor Professor is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: Prostar 190, 1998, LT1, powerslot
Location: Lake Sinclair
Posts: 439
I’m using Castrol/Syntec 5W-50 in my LT1. My summer temps approach 100 and I like the high ambient temperature limit of this oil compared to the “dino juice” oil I used. The synthetic oil is without a doubt better, but what is more important is changing oil/filter on a regular schedule. Of course, I think the oil is less of an issue than what is in the oil. Engines not used on a regular basis will introduce water from condensation into the oil (white sludgy ‘gook’ sometimes seen under the oil cap). In addition, regular oil changes removes acid and contaminates. There are several factors to consider to determine the type of oil: engine age, environmental conditions, use, etc. Keep in mind for every person you ask this question to you will receive a different answer. Oh, I forgot…I realize the earlier synthetic oils had a tendency to induce leaks because of the small molecule structure but swelling agents have been added and I believe do a good job. I will let someone else answer the OEM 351ci questions…
__________________
- where every family lives on the lake, every neighbor is a ski club member, and at every dock there is a Mastercraft
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 AM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,280
According to my conversation with Indmar last summer, they're currently recommending Pennzoil Marine Grade 15W40 for the 351W HO (GT40) among other engines. Your manual recommends Mobil1 SAE 30. Brand, of course, isn't so important. It's just who Indmar has the sweetheart deal with.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2005, 10:38 AM
6ballsisall's Avatar
6ballsisall 6ballsisall is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: None this week!
Location: Coming out of the 6 Ball
Posts: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilew
I got such good advise from my last post about a carb problem I thought I would ask the experts out there about this issue.

Is anyone using synthetic oil? I have a 1993 Ford 351 engine with the GT-40 heads. What is the recommended weight oil for this engine and is it ok to use synthetic oil?

Also need to know what temp. thermostat to use.

Thanks,
SkiLew

How many hours on the boat?
I have had great luck in the past with Amsoil. One word of caution, if you are putting it in a high mileage engine you do run the risk of creating new leaks (or leaks in general) I ran it in a 78 Bronco that only had 80k miles (400 modified) It did not leak before synthetic but it did develop several leaks afterwards. Synthetic acts as a cleaning agent and will get all the junk and buildup out that was created by the dyno oil. Also, if you do, I would recommend using an oil cleaner to get at as much of the old dyno oil as possible. Good luck and if let us know how it works out for you!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Footin's Avatar
Footin Footin is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Location: Columbus,OH/Monticello,KY
Posts: 4,551
I was going to use Mobil 1 in my 94 205 with 410 hours, should I be concerned about leaks? I was also going to use Mobil synthetic trans fuild in the trans. I have heard from a more than one source that this may add a small amount of HP and the trans will operate smoother.

I will continue my 50 hour oil changes with whatever I use.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 AM
6ballsisall's Avatar
6ballsisall 6ballsisall is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: None this week!
Location: Coming out of the 6 Ball
Posts: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin
I was going to use Mobil 1 in my 94 205 with 410 hours, should I be concerned about leaks? I was also going to use Mobil synthetic trans fuild in the trans. I have heard from a more than one source that this may add a small amount of HP and the trans will operate smoother.

I will continue my 50 hour oil changes with whatever I use.
Its really hard to say about the leaks, just something you need to thinkabout.

I don't claim to be the expert on the subject but I can tell you I really don't think you will see HP gains from the oil change. However, endurance, the integrity of the engine could get better with a good synthetic. I will tell you I have a friend who just switched his Cummins 6 speed over to synthetic, the shifting characteristics (the speed you can throw the shifter and the accuracy) improved ten fold. I think you will be pleased with that with the transmission, I am going to change my transmission over when it is broke in.
My motor will still get dyno oil until I can tear it down and build a new beast. Then it will get Amsoil
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2005, 12:21 PM
skilew skilew is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandol
How many hours on the boat?
I have had great luck in the past with Amsoil. One word of caution, if you are putting it in a high mileage engine you do run the risk of creating new leaks (or leaks in general) I ran it in a 78 Bronco that only had 80k miles (400 modified) It did not leak before synthetic but it did develop several leaks afterwards. Synthetic acts as a cleaning agent and will get all the junk and buildup out that was created by the dyno oil. Also, if you do, I would recommend using an oil cleaner to get at as much of the old dyno oil as possible. Good luck and if let us know how it works out for you!
I have only 300hrs on the boat. I also wanted to ask if anyone uses an additive like SLICK 50 or STP?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.